Any Good Pellets at Around 50 cents / lb?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am playing around with a pellet smoker I got as a gift. I was wondering where I could get some good tasting pellets for around 50 cents/lb. $1 /lb makes pellet smoking seem unreasonably expensive.

How many pounds of pellets does it take to smoke a pork butt for example?

I have owned several pellet smokers and they all tend to burn about one pound per hour at 250 degrees. If you order in bulk, like split a pallet with someone, you can get them cheaper. But generally anything under $1 a pound is a good deal. It is the shipping that costs on them.

If you order more than 2 bags of pellets from Traeger, they will ship for free. They are still at $0.94 a pound.

I am starting to think I should get rid of this pellet grill lol.. that's just too darn expensive. I hardly use any lump when smoking a pork butt in my Mini WSM. It probably costs me like $1.50 to smoke a pork butt to 150 degrees internal temp before putting it in my little breville countertop oven.

I am starting to think I should get rid of this pellet grill lol.. that's just too darn expensive. I hardly use any lump when smoking a pork butt in my Mini WSM. It probably costs me like $1.50 to smoke a pork butt to 150 degrees internal temp before putting it in my little breville countertop oven.

Find some other pelletheads in your area and do a bulk buy. We just bought about 2000lb between 6 of us and ended up paying $0.35/lb from cookingpellets.com

Oh wow there is an Academy Sports nearby.. $11.99 seems like a good price! How good are those B&B pellets?

Hrm if those pellets are good and can get for $11.99.. I might keep the pellet griill

I've never used their pellets, but all of their other products are really good. I would expect the pellets to be a fine product. If you want some great lump, try their oak lump too.

Find some other pelletheads in your area and do a bulk buy. We just bought about 2000lb between 6 of us and ended up paying $0.35/lb from cookingpellets.com

Where did you order them from?

I've used the B&B apple pellets from Academy to smoke some cheese in my small egg. I don't have a pellet smoker, but the cheese turned out pretty good.

Pellets

I have used these pellets OHP from ozark hardwood products for 2yrs they are 100% hardwood ( OAK) no fillers . here is a link to their web page http://www.ozarkhardwoodproducts.com/index.html they can be found at my local Tractor Supply for $.12 a pound 40lb bags my neighbor and me bought a skid last winter still using them. :thumb::thumb:

I'm right around $.30/lb using Lumberjack pellets and I'm very happy with them.

Dang.. pellets to expensive?

Add some lava rocks to the pellet grill keeps heat easier. I did that to my traeger.

But cookingpellets.com is what I use(d)..

I have used these pellets OHP from ozark hardwood products for 2yrs they are 100% hardwood ( OAK) no fillers . here is a link to their web page http://www.ozarkhardwoodproducts.com/index.html they can be found at my local Tractor Supply for $.12 a pound 40lb bags my neighbor and me bought a skid last winter still using them. :thumb::thumb:

I would not want to use pellet furnace grade pellets to cook with.

I have heard that before on heating pellets but you need to do your homework. i trust this company 100% here is my e-mail to them about their pellets. cant beat .12cents lb.

We do not add any chemicals or binders during the production of our pellets.

100% Hardwood product...red/white oak and hickory from time to time.

There really is not much to elaborate on...we have in the past packaged
product for companies that sell BBQ wood pellets, we just do not market the
product that way since it is such a small niche market.

Thank you for the inquiry.

Scott Jacobs
Ozark Hardwood Products
Phone: 417-241-0477
www.ozarkhardwoodproducts.com

-----Original Message-----
From: paulburney@charter.net [mailto:paulburney@charter.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:21 AM
To: info@ozarkhardwoodproducts.com
Subject: Contact Us

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
(paulburney@charter.net) on Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 07:20:51
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

name: paul burney

address: 501 fairway drive

city: moro

state: illinois

zip: 62067

phone: 618-377-0453

select: Email

Pellets: Yes

comments: i read some e-mails you sent to Tim - Kearney, NE on
pelletheads.com and am wanting to know how safe your pellets are in regaurds
to using in a Traeger pellet grill can you elaborate on using them for this
purpose??

submit: Submit

I have heard that before on heating pellets but you need to do your homework. i trust this company 100% here is my e-mail to them about their pellets. cant beat .12cents lb.

We do not add any chemicals or binders during the production of our pellets.

100% Hardwood product...red/white oak and hickory from time to time.

There really is not much to elaborate on...we have in the past packaged
product for companies that sell BBQ wood pellets, we just do not market the
product that way since it is such a small niche market.

Thank you for the inquiry.

Scott Jacobs
Ozark Hardwood Products
Phone: 417-241-0477
www.ozarkhardwoodproducts.com

-----Original Message-----
From: paulburney@charter.net [mailto:paulburney@charter.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:21 AM
To: info@ozarkhardwoodproducts.com
Subject: Contact Us

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
(paulburney@charter.net) on Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 07:20:51

name: paul burney

address: 501 fairway drive

city: moro

state: illinois

zip: 62067

phone: 618-377-0453

select: Email

Pellets: Yes

comments: i read some e-mails you sent to Tim - Kearney, NE on
pelletheads.com and am wanting to know how safe your pellets are in regaurds
to using in a Traeger pellet grill can you elaborate on using them for this
purpose??

submit: Submit

I am sure they are fine. I have heard stories not of the stuff that the pellets are made of, rather it was what they used to clean and oil the machines that are used in processing the pellets.

No idea if any of this is true, probably internet rumors

At less than $5.00 for 40lb of pellets ill keep using them:wink::wink:

Back