What kind of wood is this?

Schmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a tree to slice & use for cooking this winter.

This one looks good, but I cannot identify it. Here's a pic of a branch showing the elongated leaves. Can anyone identify what tree this is?

Thankew,
J

Attachments

• leaves.jpg
    leaves.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 316
Get the leaf snap app for your phone. Works pretty good

Looks like a pin or water oak to me. Any acorns around the tree?

Looks like a pin or water oak to me. Any acorns around the tree?

I almost answered 'No acorns' without thinking, instead I went back out to check and whaddaya know, there are indeed acorns hiding under the leaves.

It's gotta be oak. Pin oak, willow oak, whatever -- it's fuel.

Thanks for IDing the tree for me.

J

Yeah, definitely not pin oak. At least the pin oaks I have in this area.

Whatever tree it is it`s not healthy......either nutrients or fungus.Look at the black spots on the leaves.

Whatever tree it is it`s not healthy......either nutrients or fungus.Look at the black spots on the leaves.
^^ Agreed - Its a fungus and its a Willow Oak. I just cut one down on my property 2 weeks ago. It'll also have black 'lumps' on the smaller branches indicating its fungus.

Although its the softest of the Oaks in my neck of the woods, it still makes good heat and smokin' fuel once seasoned.

Looks like one I have that was identified as a black walnut. I thought it was a pig nut hickory.

The black walnut here has wider leaves and rougher bark. But if it has acorns then it's oak. So it should make a good hot fire and burn a while

Back