Cooking a split brisket?(pic)

SmokeFan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'll be cooking a 3 or 4 briskets later this month for brisket tacos for our annual neighborhood kids Halloween party we host each year. Usually we have about 80-90 attend. Last year I did 6 butts, but it was way too much food. Hopefully I can pull off this brisket taco for 90 thing! :twitch:

Anyway, I had two rubs I wanted to try out on the family and some friends to see which way I should go.

Running behind on time, and only having 1 packer, I decided to split the whole thing lengthwise, rub and cook as normal.

Has anyone else done this? I expect shorter cook times? I think it should work fine, but after seeing a lack of posts doing this, maybe it's gonna be a flop?

I did put foil under them to keep them from getting cooked to fast or dried out on the ends. They are cruising along at 250 in my BGE, and will be cooked until they fall apart/probe tender. Using RO lump, and couple chunks of hickory and mesquite.

These are for tacos, so slicing is unimportant to me. Probably go to 205-210 internal, but it's feel thing at that point.

Here's a pic. The two 1/2's have been on about 45 minutes.

The two rubs used were:

In the front: layered with Dizzy Pigs Fajita-ish, Rodaks coffee rub, and some palm brown sugar. This was an attempt at a mexican flavored sort of thing for the tacos. We'll see how that goes.

The one in the back: Classic. Simple kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and some garlic powder.

23216970-1FAF-4BA7-BFD9-CE6B5D64B697-440-00000106EF27BD3D_zpsa7203bf1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have never done it personally but have heard of folks doing it. I probably would have separated the point and flat instead of splitting it in half. Hope it turns out well. Can't screw up brisket tacos too bad I figure. :p

I have never done it personally but have heard of folks doing it. I probably would have separated the point and flat instead of splitting it in half. Hope it turns out well. Can't screw up brisket tacos too bad I figure. :p
That was exactly my thought, as well.

i made tacos with left over brisket last night....i must say those were the best taco i have ever ate....i actually thought i had over cooked my brisket cooked hot and fast ...key word fast lol 13 lbs done in less then 7 hours first time i checked it it probed very tender and at 215 internal sliced fine... also was a BIG hit at our sunday football party so whatever

Don't sell me short! I absolutely can screw up brisket tacos too bad!! :pray:

Actually I thought about separating the point from the flat, then I recalled a brisket I got from costco that was really like 2/3 a brisket, and someone said they had seen splits like that at their costco. It turned out to be among my best attempts at brisket, so I figured wth. That said, these splits are smaller than that one was, so I guess we'll see...

It's all gonna get chopped/pulled anyway, so as long as I can get it tender, I should be ok. I hope.

I've done it, IMO it cooks much better just like a full packer rather than spliting the point & flat and the added difficulties that imposes.

I've done it, IMO it cooks much better just like a full packer rather than spliting the point & flat and the added difficulties that imposes.
I agree! The cooking time is a little shorter than doing a whole packer but the fat cap is still there and you can go about cooking it in the same way rather than having to worry about drying out the flat that is being cooked separately from the point. Heck it in some ways it may even be better than a whole packer since you can get better coverage with your rub and smoke which equates to more bark and more flavor!:wink:

Thanks guys! I'm almost 4 hours in, temp on the front one is about 157. BGE settled in at about 250.

As an aside, it's interesting to see how much water comes out during the cook. I may poke a hole in the foil to allow that to drain into the water pan. Then again, I may just let it ride and see how it ends up.

563BD508-37CA-49DC-BE62-6C992C842B56-542-0000011D75260A44_zpsd919a5a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back