Different temps on BB

pull_my_butt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm getting various readings on the meat thermometer when placed in different parts of the meat. It varied from 140 to 180. Right into the bone, it was 140. I thought it would be hotter at the bone. The larger parts were hotter than the smaller parts. I don't know. What do you think?

That is why most of don't measure the temperature of ribs but use the bend test, or toothpick test.

Wait... baby backs or boston butt?

or Baked Beans?

Assuming baby backs, there just isn't enough meat to get a consistent reading. 1/8" off can change the temp by quite a bit.

A lot of bbq uses temperatures as guides, but go by feel/probing.

Boston Butts, I put my meat probe thermo into the thickest part of the meat (make sure to not touch the bone) Once it gets to about 195ish I will then use the bone wiggle to test for doneness (wiggle the bone and if it starts to release from the bone it is done)

Ribs if it bends and doesnt break or the toothpick pushes in like it was warm butter it is done.

I use feel from the probe test, NOT temp for all the large cuts.

The next time I cook a roast type cut, I am going to slowly insert the thermapen and record the temp changes from the surface to the center and on to the bottom side.
Even a fraction of an inch difference makes the temps wander all over the place!
Seen it many times--just gonna record it the next time.

TIM

My life has gotten much better since I've stopped paying attention to temperatures on larger cuts. I go all by feel now - once in a while I'll temp to get an idea of how much longer 'til it's ready, but IMO for doneness, esp. on butts, briskets and chuckies, it's all about feeling how tender the meat is and not looking at a therm.

Back