PIT Care

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my Pit covered as much as possible but I am curious as to what everyone does to treat their PITs and protect them from the elements and from rust?

Gerry
(Paid subscription in 4 days :) )

Pam on the stick burner! UDS and Weber OTS 55 gal contractor grade Trash bags, Mini WSM. upside down 30 gal plastic chit can

I have a few coats of clear on the UDS other than that nothing. I'll repaint it a different color when it gets to bad.

the mini has a grill cover for the 18in weber grill over it. my otg has the 22in grill cover over it. Both are under the covered part of my deck. I cook on them enough where I dont have to worry about keeping them oiled up.

I'm getting an 84" cooker ... inside I understand how to treat, season, and clean. Hinges I'm OK with. Will be getting a Powder Coat done. What I'm more focuses on is making sure I do all I can to keep it in best shape. Hefty investment and my wife knows how to shoot!

Frequent use is good for it :mrgreen: That, and a coating of PAM on the exterior paint.

8067155663_1581393d32_n.jpg

Cooking oil on firebox, once a month or after cooking, whichever comes first.

I'll remember that ... haven't ever thought to oil my Firebox.

Most of mine are on a covered porch. No water, no problems.

yall would kill me if you saw how the Meat Mama looks now in mothballs.

I'll remember that ... haven't ever thought to oil my Firebox.

It seasons, almost like a cast iron skillet. Paint will never hold up because of the steel expanding and contracting during use. Also lives in the garage :)

I just discovered the el cheapo Lowe's round grill cover that fits up to a 30" kettle or UDS. It's pretty cheap vinyl but has an elastic bottom and costs eight bucks. I have one on the kettle part of my 22.5 one touch platinum (allowing me to use the side tables) and one on the 25.75 Weber. Will probably get a third for the UDS once I'm done fabricating.

I just discovered the el cheapo Lowe's round grill cover that fits up to a 30" kettle or UDS. It's pretty cheap vinyl but has an elastic bottom and costs eight bucks. I have one on the kettle part of my 22.5 one touch platinum (allowing me to use the side tables) and one on the 25.75 Weber. Will probably get a third for the UDS once I'm done fabricating.
When my Weber cover tore on my OTS I picked one of these up and it works pretty well.

First, I keep mine covered or in the garage at all times. Second, I clean the ashes out every cook, as moisture and ashes=rust. Lastly, for the cooler parts I keep a wire brush and a can of paint, so if I see rust, I address it immediately before it starts to pit (hard to stop then). On the hotter parts, I use a light coat of Crisco several times during a cook. I used to use Pam, but it leaves a sticky residue, and Crisco gives it a nice cast iron skillet look. I like the results of peanut oil too.

I always use vegetable oil or cooking oil on my firebox on the bandera. I coat it good once I am through cooking so it cools on the box and seasons as it cools. works wonders and the box is always a nice rich black color.

Back