Trying out the new smoker

H

hafast

Well, I broke down and went the lazy-q route, got a Bradley smoker. I just read Mike Mills' book (Peace, Love, and Barbeque), and feel guilty about it now. Anyway, I did cold smoke some cheese in it last week, but trying a fatty and a very small picnic roast today. Hoping it turns out alright. Any other Bradley owners out there? Any tricks to it I should know? I'll try to post pictures as it comes along.

Don't have one, but I am curious about them. Give a full report. The way Texas and Oklahoma are burning, I may not use the Klose for months.:eek:

Not sure about Bradley owners, but I know a few Brothers have Cookshack and Meco electrics. I'm sure they'll toss in their $.02 worth.

hafast said:
Well, I broke down and went the lazy-q route, got a Bradley smoker. I just read Mike Mills' book (Peace, Love, and Barbeque), and feel guilty about it now. Anyway, I did cold smoke some cheese in it last week, but trying a fatty and a very small picnic roast today. Hoping it turns out alright. Any other Bradley owners out there? Any tricks to it I should know? I'll try to post pictures as it comes along.
Charcoal, wood, pellets, gas, wood, electricity, etc., all give similar results and all can be good depending on your taste. What is the most important thing is that you are cooking it low and slow. I would reccomend though, that you supplement it with some real wood in packets or some sort of metal box or can. Hard to repalce the taste you get when you use some real wood.

Well, the results are in. The fatty and picnic turned out great! Food flavor, tender, etc. One odd thing, though, and it seems like I read this somewhere recently about the Bradleys. No smoke ring. I don't know if it's because it's a "cleaner" smoke, or what, I'm sure someone here knows why. Couldn't compete with it, but it tasted great, and for me, that's the important part. Looking forward to trying some other stuff in it. Oh yeah, quick question, Bigdog, I thought the bisquetts for the Bradley were real wood, mainly like a sawdust compressed into a puck. The ones I used were hickory. Would it make a difference if I threw in some chunks? I'm not sure how I would burn them in this smoker. Maybe it would give me a smoke ring if I figured it out.

I would have to imagine that if there is smoke there should be a smoke ring. I wouldn't worry too much though because if it taste good what is the difference whether it had a smokering or not?

I wouldn't use chunks. I've had one about 8 months, and you are right, there is not much if any smoke ring. I wouldn't load more pucks than what would do a 3 hour smoke as anything over that is a waste of pucks and make the product taste like you are eating a tree. I was disappointed in the shelf size, you can't lay a full rack of ribs in it, you have to cut them in half. They are supposed to be excellent for cold smoking, which I haven't attempted........yet. The Bradley reps were in our store and talked to me about doing demos on the weekends.....that's all we did was talk though...
Try Bradley's website, they have a forum similar to ours just for their cookers.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/

Back