Help me duplicate a sauce please

Full Throttle

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
So my neighbor who competes and caters a bunch brought down some sausage with his BBQ sauce today. I hate to say it, but it is the best sauce I have ever tasted and want to try to duplicate it. Of coarse I didn't ask and I've been told by other neighbors he doesn't share any of his secrets! :mad2:

Anyway, I tasted chili powder, vinegar, ketchup salt and coarse pepper and was slightly sweet. Does anyone have a recipe That sounds like what I am describing? I want to experiment but not sure if I should add brown sugar for sweetness and what kind of vinegar would be best...... Thanks.

Here is your best option. Don't duplicate his sauce. Make a better one! You know your tastebuds better than anyone, so play around with ingredients until you are happy with the end result. It will almost certainly be the best sauce you've ever had.

Here is your best option. Don't duplicate his sauce. Make a better one! You know your tastebuds better than anyone, so play around with ingredients until you are happy with the end result. It will almost certainly be the best sauce you've ever had.
I agree with Q-Dat. The most fun I've had cooking is finding something I like, trying to come close to those flavors, and ending up with something more to my liking. It usually only takes a couple times to get in the ball park. It's the fine tuning that makes tons of yummy food to eat!

Snyper77, could you help me a bit with your use of the term "wangy"? Sort of "Twangy" like a lot o' stuff happening at once on an out of tune guitar sense? Or more on the "don't hang your wang out of the window" thing? Which would fall on the somewhat full of **** and vinegar side of the scale?

Militantsquatter, have you tried the Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce? Sounds interesting, but since I'm in the Philippines, a bit out of reach for me. None the less, if it is good and not too hot, I wouldn't mind sending a bottle to a friend of mine for his birthday.

Agreed. Here's what I like to do:
Take a pint of apple juice and reduce it down to a cup. Add a half cup of molasses, a half cup of ketchup, a quarter cup of cider vinegar and a quarter cup of whatever rub I've used on whatever meat I'm putting the sauce on. Simmer for a few minutes to marry all the flavors and you're done. It'll mesh up very nicely with the flavors in the meat. If you're serving beer or wine, you can replace the vinegar with an equal amount of whatever you're drinking. If you happen to be married to someone who likes mustard based sauce, replace the ketchup with mustard. If you're in Georgia, replace the apple juice with Peach Nectar. If a chili head is over for dinner, add a couple finely diced Habaneros.
Point being, there is (to me anyway) no BEST sauce. The time, place, meat, beverages and company dictate the best sauce for a particular occasion. Let your friend have HIS sauce, and you have YOUR sauce. That's the fun of cooking.

Seriously, it really does sound like there's a chance that he's just using Blues Hog Tennessee Red. You might just purchase a pint and see if that's not it, or so darned close that you dont have to do the R&D effort.

Back