Jaccard??

I've owned the three row Jaccard for several years. I don't use with que but it gets regular duty with inexpensive steaks and very lean pork chops.

Its good for a few things. You can pound out/tenderize some cheap cuts of beef for chicken fried steak. You can make steaks cook to a higher degree of doneness (Medium-Well, Well Done) faster, but why would you:cry:? The reason it makes them cook faster is you're cutting lots of holes into the meat, which lets out the juices. I wouldn't really use it in Q because drying out is already an issue with long cooks like brisket, so why would you want to make it easier to dry out. And if you cook/cut it right tenderness won't be an issue, so you don't need to augment the meat with the jaccard. I've worked the grill in steakhouses for a long time, and the only time I used one is when some poor sap orders a MW steak at a table with someone who ordered a MR steak. How do I get this gristly, crappy end of the loin, Strip Steak to cook to MW in the same time as this beautiful MR Ribeye? Punch a bunch of holes in it and put a weight on it! But it's good for chicken fried steak...:wink:

I mostly use mine if i want to marinade the meat. It seems (to me at least) to get more flavor into the meat that way. Often I can't find the Jaccard and just stab with a fork.

I used to use mine for brisket, to speed up the marinating. Then I listened to everyone explain that it was just helping the juices run off. Candidly, I couldn't tell that using the jaccard dried things out any more - particularly if you let the meat sit long enough to "heal". It did accelerate the flavoring though.

Here is one that we have that I like ($24.99). I use it sometimes at home. I also have a secret use for it.

I would only need it on flank and my mexican butcher asks if you want to run it through the tenderizer there.

I couldn't justify $50 for it.

I'm more apt to smash something with a frying pan (like when making fried pork tenderloin) than I am to putting a ton of holes in things.

I'll fork chicken breast before marinating in Mojo Criollo

But hey, nothing like asking for it for Christmas!

I used to use mine for brisket, to speed up the marinating. Then I listened to everyone explain that it was just helping the juices run off. Candidly, I couldn't tell that using the jaccard dried things out any more - particularly if you let the meat sit long enough to "heal". It did accelerate the flavoring though.

I do not subscribe to losing the juice due to this method either. Maybe I'll write in to Alton Brown and ask him to perform an experiment with same raw ounce cut, cooked the same etc, but one jaccarded and the other not. Net weight at the end of the cook should be pretty close to whether or not it affected the meat's ability to retain liquid.

Email sent to Food Network. Maybe he'll do it!

Last edited:
Back