WSM Thermometer

jmill88

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How accurate is the thermometer that comes with the WSM? I used my new 18.5 for the first time this weekend, but not sure. Has anyone changed the thermometer and if so, what are your recommendations? Thanks

The one on my 22.5 has been replaced twice already by Weber. The first 2 stopped rising around 225-275 and the 3rd one averages about 15 degrees lower than the grate which I've read is about right but at least doesn't stop rising. I use a Maverick ET-73 to monitor cooking temps.

The one on my 22.5 has been replaced twice already by Weber. The first 2 stopped rising around 225-275 and the 3rd one averages about 15 degrees lower than the grate which I've read is about right but at least doesn't stop rising. I use a Maverick ET-73 to monitor cooking temps.

I was just looking at the Maverick. I think I am going to invest in one of those. How long have you had yours?

Check it by holding the stem of it in a pot of boiling water, then you'll know how accurate it is. Also temperatures will not be the same at the dome as at the grate level.

That is the exact code that i used with NO result. However a hand written note on the bill of sale told me that i needed a hyphen between brethren and 2011.

bbq-brethren-2011

Did they go ahead and give you the 5% off?

They're usually not accurate, but give you a good point of reference. As others have mentioned, the top grate will be hotter than the lid temp. Put the stem only in some boiling water and if it reads 212 (+/- 2 or 3 degrees), I would say you're good with the stock thermometer. If not, Weber CS will usually send you out another one. They're made in China and Weber probably has a dedicated 10,000 square foot room that just has thermometers in it.

Accurate Replacements are available from Tel-Tru on Line. There is a 15% discount for National Barbecue News Readers also. the replacements are superior to the original weber ones.

I don't pay much attention to the thermometer on my WSM,other than watching for temp spikes.How did your cook go?T

Back