My first weber

Islandchanel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just picked up my first weber off craigslist for $100.00 I think that was a good deal. It's a 22.5 inch gold touch in the blue. It was brand new in the box and hadn't even been opened. Any suggestions for the first cook or modifications?

I'd say that's a good deal. First cook: Steaks of your choice. I wouldn't mod it until you use it for a while.

I cannot think of any basic Mods needed on the Weber Kettle. You might want to pick up some Coal baskets for indirect cooking. Other than that Steak, Chicken or Burgers are always a good cook.

Hey, great score and welcome to the Brethren. I'd start off grilling something. Steaks are always a good idea to quote MattB. Then start learing how to cook things with indirect heat and smoke. Way fun.

That is a great bargain... I'd make a roast duck with mango salsa ;)

Hey, great score and welcome to the Brethren. I'd start off grilling something. Steaks are always a good idea to quote MattB. Then start learing how to cook things with indirect heat and smoke. Way fun.

I agree with Marty. Play with it awhile and you'll find what you feel you need as far as mods go. My first Weber Kettle changed my life. :thumb:

Good deal to me! Heck make a whole weekend out of it! I use my Weber all the time, and someone can have it after they pry it out of my cold dead hands, heck, cancel that, bury me with it ;)

I've done 2 things to mine. First was to put a second charcoal grate in so small pieces of lump don't fall through. Second was to install a thermometer in the lid. I'm glad I switched over from a gasser. I couldn't be happier.

Dave

Spatchcocked chicken!

+1 for spatchcocked yardbird!! :thumb:

2011-05-31181223.jpg

Oh, and there's a place for you to post a pic and introduce the blue haired lady... The Weber Kettle Appreciation Society Yeah, the name makes it sound kinda stuffy but don't let that throw ya'! :p

very nice score. i'd do what Marty said and experiment with it and learn indirect cooking and smoking. if you have not already picked one up get a charcoal chimney...you don't want to contaminate that baby with light fluid. Welcome and good luck.

...if you have not already picked one up get a charcoal chimney...you don't want to contaminate that baby with light fluid. Welcome and good luck.

Oooo - Great idea - be sure to get the Weber chimney though - you'll hate anything else - cheapo will cost you $7 and the Weber one will cost you about $12-$14 at Lowes or HD. Absolutely worth it though!

Or if you're a pyro like me, hit up a Harbor Freight tools and grab one of these babys:
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html
or with a built in ignitor -
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

I've been using mine for about 2 years now and can't do without it!

From cold grill to steak searing hot in about 10 min!

The handle even hooks over the top lip of the propane tank so you don't have to worry about setting a hot torch down when you're done!

Tough to tell from the pic, but the tip sits about 3" from the ground when hung like this.

2011-06-02100801.jpg

Back