• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Standing rib roasts or top round roast on a UDS

T

Thirsty4Q

Need to do some beef for a party in a couple weeks, I have never done a large piece of beef. I am tossed up right now between a couple of standing rib roasts, or a whole top round roast (approx 22# what my butcher gets)

I was thinking about 275-300 for the drum, (that should be about 1 vent open and maybe a second just cracked?) and trying to figure out what internal temp to cook to.

Never doing large beef before I ask is it tricky to not let it dry out? Suggestions if I should wrap in foil at any period during the cook, or wait for the rest.

Also trying to figure out an approximate estimate of cook time. I realize there are so many factors, and I like to guage on internal temp not time, but I am trying to figure out if I have a 4 hour smoke or a 12 hour smoke.

Sorry about all the questions, trying not to screw up a $80 hunk of meat!

So my buddy's wife just called me and definitely wants to do a prime rib. So for ease of carving she wants to do a whole boneless ribeye. So that narrows it down, but still need to figure out what temp to cook till, and method to keep moist. Pretty new at this stuff.

Depends on what you're doing with them. If you want to eat them, I'd go with the standing rib roast. If you want to feed it to the dog, then the top round roast. :becky:

Seriously, the rib roast is a beautiful chunk of meat. Top round is good for cold sandwiches if cut very thinly, but that's my opinion. There's a number of threads on cooking prime rib. Here's one

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96828

I personally prefer smoking at low temp, about 225* until about 120-125 IT. Then rest while you bring the temp on your grill up to >500* and a sear on the outside. Prime rib is easy to cook. You should have no problem.

Last edited:
Thanks Gore, that is a great link and seems to answer all of my questions. Now I just need to pick the right rub!

I also may switch over to do a rotisserie instead, however I really want to play with my new UDS! And I think the drippings sizzling and reflavoring might be a nice add.

I've smoked prime ribs a few times. We've made it a Christmas tradition in the family. I usually do whole roasts (about 14 lb'ers). Last one I did was 14 lbs and took 4 hours at about 325. I did a reverse sear, which I've read and experienced is the best way to achieve the crust on the exterior but wtill have a consistent 'doneness' throughout. This means to finish with high heat rather than starting with high heat to sear. Also gets better smoke flavor this way.

Here's the last one I did:
IMG_1277.jpg

And here's 2009's:
IMG_4825.jpg

Honestly, the resource I've turned to most often is brother Thirdeye's blog. He's got all the info you'll need for cook times. I've checked in with him more than a few times, specifically for Prime Rib. Here it is:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

Good luck!!

Back