Uds

N

Nuke

:mod: Hi All,

Just getting started, but I am in the throws of building my first UDS. I searched and Searched for a "food grade" drum but the closest I could find in our area and anywhrere close, was a industrial grease barrell. These come with the grease in a bladder, and it is pumped out as needed. the top is remevable and had some grease on it but that doesn't matter to me as I plan on using an old dome from a bbq. There is really no visible residue in the drum, and when wiped inside with white rag, I got nothing. the inside is bright and shiny. I plan on washing it out with hot water and Dawn dish soap before burning it out. Any thoughts on using this drum?

One other thing, I have looked at a lot of designs, the thread is long on these designs, can anyone point me right to a page that has dimensions, of a diagram?

If you were me...

I would do just as you describe for using that drum.

As for specifics. Look at the top menu bar and click the Smoke Signals link. I think issue one has detailed instructions, courtesy of Norco, for building a UDS. Includes measurements.

Good drum to use, Don't forget to drill your intakes before you burn it out.

i'm with phubar.
made mine the same way, and i just love it!

Sounds like a good score! All I've located locally are lined drums.

If the inside is bright and shiney you do not need to do a burn. Just clean with dawn, rinse well, dry, and immediately get a coat of some kind of oil on it. Crisco, veg oil, or anything will do. Burning is not something always required with a drum. A burn should not be needed in this case, IMO. Someone else can chime in here and let me know if I missed something.

Back