THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N

Nuke

:mod: Hi All,

Just getting started, but I am in the throws of building my first UDS. I searched and Searched for a "food grade" drum but the closest I could find in our area and anywhrere close, was a industrial grease barrell. These come with the grease in a bladder, and it is pumped out as needed. the top is remevable and had some grease on it but that doesn't matter to me as I plan on using an old dome from a bbq. There is really no visible residue in the drum, and when wiped inside with white rag, I got nothing. the inside is bright and shiny. I plan on washing it out with hot water and Dawn dish soap before burning it out. Any thoughts on using this drum?

One other thing, I have looked at a lot of designs, the thread is long on these designs, can anyone point me right to a page that has dimensions, of a diagram?

If you were me...

I would do just as you describe for using that drum.

As for specifics. Look at the top menu bar and click the Smoke Signals link. I think issue one has detailed instructions, courtesy of Norco, for building a UDS. Includes measurements.

i'm with phubar.
made mine the same way, and i just love it!

Sounds like a good score! All I've located locally are lined drums.

If the inside is bright and shiney you do not need to do a burn. Just clean with dawn, rinse well, dry, and immediately get a coat of some kind of oil on it. Crisco, veg oil, or anything will do. Burning is not something always required with a drum. A burn should not be needed in this case, IMO. Someone else can chime in here and let me know if I missed something.

Back