UDS temp Help

parrdist

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got the UDS started like I have always done,but can get it up to temp. The only diff. is today it about 40 degrees and windy. Only getting up to about 180.
HELP!!

hmmm, how many lit coals did you start with? open the lid for a bit to get it going

Take the lid off for a while.

Also, a windbreak of some sort is ideal, but I've set up a fan at the vent before to help keep the air intake consistant in windy conditions, and to boost temps. It works quite well, but you don't want to do that every type of briquette, as the ash on some will end up on your food quite easily. You're probably ok w/ K, though.

I tried taking the lid off but still couldn't maintain temp when I put the lid back on. I gave up and started my weber kettle indirect and finishing on it. The kettle I'm can control the UDS is still new to me and I have to get the feel for it. I didn't want to screw up 2 racks of ribs a 2 fatties. Thanks for the Help.

Its chilly and quite breezy out today. I have had to open a second intake to keep temps up. Also, a wind break will help keep things consistent. As gusty as it is though, its a fight to just set and forget.

In cold weather it takes alot longer to get temps up, advise above is correct. Open all intakes, add more hot coals to basket, also try Lump. How many intakes & exhaust vents do you have by the way?

let us know what your intakes were set at. What size holes for your intake?

I got 3 1" intakes all wide open. I started chimney 2/3 full of KF Blue.
I may not have gotten them hot enough. After moving everything to the Weber Kettle all came out Great,Ribs and Fatties. All good.I'll have to keep working with the Drum only have had it for 6 weeks still learning.

With the intakes all open you should have been able to keep the temps up. Coal should be all ashed over before you dump them in. Your basket should be 3 inches above the bottom or your ash pan, if your using one, for air flow and ash to fall.
Hope this helps, keep trying. I us lump it burns hotter than coal.

Back