Installing a thermometer on an older wsm

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have an 18.5 wsm, the older model (wooden handle), and was wondering if you guys knew how exactly to go about installing the thermometer (placement, technique, where to actually put the thermometer). Also- which thermometer should I actually buy? I'm not the most handy of men, but i get by (Im good at jerry rigging).

Also- could I get away with using a digital oven thermometer for now or if I should just install the new one? How/where would i put the digital thermometer- through the vent?

Might I suggest a Maverick ET-732. That way you don't have to drill any holes (unless you want to) in the side of your wsm. I use my 732 in both my WSM's and think it's awsome... but the best part is you can monitor it from inside the house!

If you are looking at a thermo mounted in the dome, this is what I do (it has worked on about 10 installations.

I put the thermo directly across the handle form the vent. I cover the area where I will be drilling with masking tape.

Measure from the handle base where it mounts to the dome to the center of the rivet in the vent. (or use a protractor) Transfer those measurements in the same manner to the masking tape on the other side.

Drill a pilot hole centered on the marks for where the thermo goes. Drill slowly to minimize porcelain chippage. Once the pilot is done, use a Uni-bit to drill the hole to the desired diameter. Most of the thermos I have put in have 1/2" NPT threads, and I think (check for yourself! Not everything on the internet is true!) it's a 13/16 hole.

Spray where you drilled with a little hi-temp grill paint to prevent rust. I also add washers inside and out (preferably stainless or painted) when I add the thermo.

Done.

Of course, you could just eyeball it.

Check out the virtual weber bullet website for some good ideas on thermometer placement. I would think twice about drilling a hole in a wooden handled WSM, though. It's a classic!

I just stick a thermometer through the top vent hole. It might not give a perfect reading every time, but it gives me a general idea of what is going on inside. I run a wired probe thermometer through the vent and into the meat. I went cheap from Lowes of Home Depot for both thermometers ( about $30 for the pair) they have been working well for me. and no drilling in my classic wsm!

Here's where I put mine:

4874320754_3fe7f9d20c_z.jpg

It's just a cheap Brinkmann thermometer I got at Lowe's; works great. I got this one because the hole you drill is very small. Tape on both sides before drilling.

If you are looking at a thermo mounted in the dome, this is what I do (it has worked on about 10 installations.

I put the thermo directly across the handle form the vent. I cover the area where I will be drilling with masking tape.

Measure from the handle base where it mounts to the dome to the center of the rivet in the vent. (or use a protractor) Transfer those measurements in the same manner to the masking tape on the other side.

Drill a pilot hole centered on the marks for where the thermo goes. Drill slowly to minimize porcelain chippage. Once the pilot is done, use a Uni-bit to drill the hole to the desired diameter. Most of the thermos I have put in have 1/2" NPT threads, and I think (check for yourself! Not everything on the internet is true!) it's a 13/16 hole.

Spray where you drilled with a little hi-temp grill paint to prevent rust. I also add washers inside and out (preferably stainless or painted) when I add the thermo.

Done.

Of course, you could just eyeball it.
This is how I did mine...the only difference was I used a 3/4 step drill so I could thread it in to get a tighter fit. It's only 1/16 smaller than 13/16 YMMV.

I drilled a hole all the way through the center of the bolt that holds the shelf up and stuck a turkey fryer thermo through that.

Back