How not to trim a brisket

Braddog

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I had a taste for some brisket this past weekend. So I was up and at it early on Saturday morning, trimming 3 packer cut briskets for the Backwoods cooker.

Just as I was finishing up the last one, the knife slipped and got into my left thumb. Now I'm not saying that I "sliced" my thumb, it was really more of a chopping blow when the knife slipped. I jumped up, said a few choice words, and thought, "I'm sure it's just a flesh wound". But when I bent my thumb and saw the gaping wound, I knew I was headed for the hospital.

A quick double-check with my wife to confirm my own diagnosis and a panic text to my neighbor and fellow pitmaster to finish up the brisket, and I was off to the ER. I walked into the ER slightly before 7:30 in the morning and by 9:00am, I had 4 stitches and a tetanus shot.

So here's my advice to all you BBQ'ers. Slice "away" from you when trimming your BBQ meats. Here's the proof that I know what I'm talking about.

6345171182_a097aa6ecb_m.jpg

6344423633_083906a9b4_m.jpg

6344423909_1085f574d7_m.jpg

The good news is it was a sharp knife and a clean cut. I should be healed up and ready to cook for Thanksgiving, but unfortunately my career as a hand model is over. :becky:

Cheers,
Braddog

So the lesson here is slice away and make sure your knifes are sharp. Brisket was OK?

Sorry that happened to you... On the bright side... I hear chicks dig battle scars! :heh:

I've done that before (several times), but never bad enough to need stitches. I hope it heals fast!

Not to take anything away from your battle wounds...but all I can think of when i look at those pics is...Dang whata sweet Rolex. :thumb: Sorry, I've gotta thing for BBQ and Swiss watches..

Well must be a trustworthy neighbor to get the job of putting the brisket on, but I 'm glad you had your priorities right. Make sure the brisket got on the smoker at all cost...

now thats some yummy pron! :thumb:

jk jk!

yikes! i woulda prolly fainted. but thats me. glad to see your ok!

That ended up being an expensive Brisket. Looks like all will heal well, lesson learned. Glad it was not worse for you...

Thanks brothers.

Good news is the brisket got on in time to have it for dinner that night. No blood hit the meat, so it was all good.

Cheers,
Braddog

Not to take anything away from your battle wounds...but all I can think of when i look at those pics is...Dang whata sweet Rolex. :thumb: Sorry, I've gotta thing for BBQ and Swiss watches..

I only take that watch off for one thing......to shower. What did you think I was gonna say? :wink:

Sorry for your bad luck there n that one, hope for a super fast healing so you can get back to it.

Glad it wasn't too bad, or too serious! I will abstain from sharing any knife horror stories :tape:

Yes, I too am quite concerned how about the well being of that brisket :p. Did it turn out ok??

Glad your thumb is ok too :becky:.

Back