View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #28
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I've been using a 12" Ryobi Compound Miter Saw for years, but have had a few kickbacks which make me nervous when using it for cutting down splits. Last year I just happened to be wearing sun glasses and was glad I did...got a chunk that popped off and smacked me if the face. It hit the ridge of my nose and my eye...my nose split open with a small gash, and had I not been wearing sunglasses I would have likely had some serious eye damage.

If I was looking to do it safely over a long period of time I'd go with a decent quality band saw. It's worth the money to have confidence that you won't get injured, and those bandsaw blades hold up really well and are easily changeable. Just make sure to get one which has a large enough exposed blade area so you can easily get through a large split.

As others have brought up the Kindling Kracker is amazing and you can use that to split down the large splits. This would allow you to get a smaller bandsaw and still be able to cut all your pieces down to your preferred length. To each their own but after my close call I quit using my compound miter saw for cutting down splits.

Thanks from:--->