Need Boston Butt Injection

B

bnew17

Brethren i need a Boston Butt injection recipe for this weekend. This will be my first butt so im kinda in the dark on this part of the process. Thanks! Yal have a great Labor Day weekend!:thumb:

Use the Google search near the bottom of the page and search for Chris Lilly Injection

Apple juice, worchestershire sauce, and a little of your rub. SImple, flavorful, happy results.

I've been using Chris Lilly's with really good luck. Though, I've started cutting the sugar and salt in half and haven't noticed a fall off.

I cooked one last weekend without injection. Put dry rub on outside, cooked slow for 10 hours and put some sauce on it about the last hour or so. Everyone loved it.

Just saying, you may not need an injection.

Apple juice, apple cider vinegar, wooster, and some rub. Works great for me.

I use an apple juice based injection as well. Chris Lilly’s recipe is a good starting point.

The Big Bob Gibson BBQ Book has Lilly's standard injection and one other that looks good too...

Standard: 3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

There is a recipe in the book for peach pork butt that has the following injection listed:

3/4 cup peach juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

I bet the second injection would be equally good with pineapple juice and soy sauce...

I'm the laziest mofo on the planet, so I don't bother :)

No injection, spritz, mop, nothing. No peeking either. Still get great PP. If it were a competition, I'd think about it, but for backyard cooking, it's just extra hassle. JMHO, YMMV.

I'm the laziest mofo on the planet, so I don't bother :)

No injection, spritz, mop, nothing. No peeking either. Still get great PP. If it were a competition, I'd think about it, but for backyard cooking, it's just extra hassle. JMHO, YMMV.

Ditto! Rub it and forget it until it's done. I like my pork to taste like mostly...pork.

I am still a beginner, so I have not used an injection yet, but it is certainly on the horizon. Let us know which one you use and how it comes out!

Yep,

Pineapple is a no-no.

Yes.. pineapple has a natural meat tenderizing element for sure, but I'm gonna have to call some doubts on it making a pork shoulder 'mushy'. I have marinated all sorts of meat in pineapple juice before and never experienced mushiness as a result. I have marinated meat for jerky in pineapple/soy mixes for 24 hours before with no negative results. It would take incredible amounts of time for pineapple juice to have that effect on meat. We're not talking long periods of marinating here.

My newbie experience in Q can't let me speak from experience on this, but if someone here has used pineapple before and experienced a 'mushy butt' I'd love to hear about it.

Never had a problem with pineapple juice. I use combo 1/2 apple juice 1/2 pineapple for the liquid. I use kosmo's and some of the rub.

Back