Chuck Smoked on 400 Degree BGE (Pron)

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
First attempt at very high heat beef smoking on the Medium BGE was a 3.6 lb. CAB Chuck. EVOO with Pepper and Kosher salt rub. OiK Joe's Lump, with mesquite chunks, Minion loaded. Plate Setter for indirect cook at 400 degrees.

Verdict: Outstanding with great bark akin to burnt ends, very tender and beefy flavored. Very easy cook. Will become a mainstay here.

CABChuck.jpg

Here it is on Egg with drip pan underneath.

ChuckonEgg.jpg

At one hour internal temp was 130 degrees

Chuck1Hour.jpg

At two hours internal temp was 175 degrees

Chuck2Hour.jpg

At two and a half hours internal temp 190 degrees . Pulled to wrap in foil and rest for two hours.

2Hours.jpg

Chunked cowboy style and sauced ready to serve

ChuckChunked.jpg

Plated

ChuckPlated.jpg

I rather like smoked chickies. I like them a little more than briskets. Not the taste, but the time used to prepare one. I like the idea of good BEEF flavor, and not having to wait all day for it to finish cooking.

Looks good. I hope it tasted great. You lovin the egg yet?

I love the way the meat caramelized! Nice looking hunk of meat.

Plate o food looks great. Never smoked a chuckie that fast.

One of the most impressive things was that I never turned, basted or foiled the chuck while cooking it. The simple rub had no sugar to burn at that high temperature.

It was a true set it and forget it cook. The actual total effort was less than grilling burgers on the kettle.

That is an outstanding looking plate of food. I've been doing chuckies at 225. I will have to try the 400 method.

Mike Mills says that Kreuz's cooks shoulder clod at 400, but they take it to 175 internal for slicing. I took the chuck to 190 so I could chunk it. I have no idea how it would work at 400 degrees to take it up to 205 or so for pulling.

I felt that the 190 internal was pushing it without foil. The thin parts of the chuck were a tad overdone. The thick parts were quite good. Next time I will foil it at 175 to bring it up to the 190 to see what that does. Good thing about the chucks, I can afford to experiment.

I would be very interested in seeing what other people find out if they try it.

Back