• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First time smoking for 10+ people this weekend

BrandonBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It's my father-in-laws birthday this weekend but also the last week of our indoor golf simulator league. We're playing an alternate shot team event at "Augusta National" and I've been tasked with smoking some food.

I just grabbed a new electric smoker to give me some more cook space and smokes that I don't have all day to tend to.

Chicken Wings - Smoked, then sauced and grilled with chili-lime rub
Pork Shoulder - Smoked overnight, then will have a couple different sauces.

I've done fish in the electric 1 time and am gonna do a bacon wrapped fatty to season it a little more. But I primarily bought it for doing smoked fish/seafood. Before I do too many seafood smokes though I'm going to get a couple non-seafood smokes in.

Any recipes or tips for smoking for that many people? All are beer drinking, meat eating people. Maybe some go-to side dish ideas to smoke?

Throw a pan of beans in underneath the butt for a couple of hours. Best to do it near the end of the butt smoke when the butt will release some drippings down to the beans.

Do the wings last at a high temp. I inject mine with a 2to1 mix of wing sauce and creole butter. About an hour or so.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Make some smoked pit beans and Jalapeno poppers, can't miss with them.

6wXjtoCl.jpg

PYlz8Dkl.jpg

Sausage. Bulk from Sam’s. Slovacek’s and or Kielbasa’s

Fatties would go over good at a party! If you wanted to smoke some nuts, that is good non veggie party food also! I like smoked potato boats, stuffed mushrooms, smoke roasted cabbage and stuffed jalapeno, mini bells or poblano peppers. To add to Adam's post about sausage, you could make pit shots too.

Plan to have everything ready earlier than you think you need to, especially the pork. If you tell people things will be ready at a certain time, they will be in your ear about when to eat an hour before that! Pork always needs a good rest anyway. You may want to try that new smoker out once before the day of the party as well, maybe cook some chicken or something for your self so you can figure out how it works.

Personally I would do the pork well ahead of time and have it shredded and ready in a Nesco. Wings would be last on high heat. I also think its a good idea to run that rig at least once before you have to perform for people. Enjoy the cook and all of the excitement of your guests but don't forget to enjoy the event too!

Menu for the weekend:

10lbs pork shoulder for pulled pork
15lbs chicken wings
5 cheddar brats
5 italian sausages

I'm going to do a couple fatty's and a pork tenderloin in the electric smoker. I've already done a run of fish, but I wanna season it with some nice pork grease!

Pit Beans

2-3 Pounds of smoke cooked bacon shred or chopped about 1"
1-20oz bag Walmart green/red peppers and onion
2-4 diced Jalapenos, fresh or pickled works fine
2 - 55 oz or 6- 16 oz cans Bush’s Baked Beans
2-20 ounce cans of drained pineapple chunks
2 Cups Brown Sugar (or more to taste)
2 Cups ketchup
2 Tbs. dry ground mustard

Combine in a 21" full size steam table pan and smoke for 3 hours.

Some better pic's of them being made in this thread: https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269964

Here's the peppers and onion mix from Walmart, you can use 4 fresh peppers and 2 onions but these are excellent quality and far more economical plus there's no storage waste if they don't get used right away.

Pzmz9O1l.jpg

Pit Beans

2 Cups ketchup

Some better pic's of them being made in this thread: https://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269964

Here's the peppers and onion mix from Walmart, you can use 4 fresh peppers and 2 onions but these are excellent quality and far more economical plus there's no storage waste if they don't get used right away.

Pzmz9O1l.jpg

So the beans are sitting at about 200 now and have been on for almost 2 hours.

I put raw bacon in there and am hoping it'll be good to go by 11:30 or so.

Cranked the WSM to 300 so hopefully it speeds up a bit.

Pit Beans

2 Cups ketchup

Pzmz9O1l.jpg

These look amazing! I will have to try a batch this summer!
:clap:

So the beans are sitting at about 200 now and have been on for almost 2 hours.

I put raw bacon in there and am hoping it'll be good to go by 11:30 or so.

Cranked the WSM to 300 so hopefully it speeds up a bit.

Bacon needs to be cooked first.

Back