BBQ Shed Build (Pron)

TRRH

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
In preparation for BBQ in the Canadian winter, we've had a BBQ Shed built that will house an offset smoker (with chimney), Weber Performer, WSM, Hibachi, table and 2 chairs. The inside walls are lined with metal siding spaced 1.5" from combustibles, floor is paver stones over gravel. Roof ends are open to help move out smoke, and a few windows for draft. Will experiment to see how I can move any smoke out...perhaps an exhaust fan? Any suggestions are welcome. Still working on a small patio out front to use in good weather. Seems I can only post 1 pic from an iPad... here is a link to the pics.. https://goo.gl/photos/9j2tAk35STdJyqFu9

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 494
Nice job!!
What are the panels on the facia?

The fascia are aluminum screening faced with trim. The idea was to leave the front and back ends open so smoke can vent out but keep mosquitoes and squirrels out.
The wood on the outside is all a fairly new product here..a brown coloured pressure treated wood about 5/8" thick. The posts and beams are the typical green pressure treated wood. Shed size is 10ft X 12 ft
Cheers
Terry

How about one of those "whirly gigs" on top to move the air ?? Wind activated ??

Cool. I would worry about the smoke. Perhaps a chimney with an exhaust fan to create draft to pull the air out?

Very nice shed!

If the inside of the shed gets warm enough, the smoke might vent out just fine as-is using natural draft from the rising air. That external firebox on the smoker is probably going to provide a decent amount of heat for the inside. .

However, is that roof uninsulated? If it's really cold outside, there is the possibility that the cold ceiling will condense out the moisture from the air and you'll get rain inside. But then just make a indoor gutter system to collect some liquid smoke:-D

Be careful with embers that fall on the floor, It looks like the studs are not protected by your steel wall at floor level. I've seen galvanized rolls of sheet steel that are only a couple feet wide. You could maybe slide that behind the steel wall material to get it fireproof all the way to the ground.

I have a suggestion for you, come build one in my back yard and I'll test it extensively for you. That shed looks great.

That shed is FANTASTIC! It looks very well thought out and executed! Any chance of a guest room addition? If so I could live in there!

Your barrel offset looks pretty cool too! How well does it work? Designed and built by you? Is that a 55 or 85 gallon drum for the cook chamber? Pretty sweet!

I like the idea of your vent system. I wonder if a fan pulling air out would help?

Cool. I would worry about the smoke. Perhaps a chimney with an exhaust fan to create draft to pull the air out?

Yes, I think your and Doug's suggestion for a ceiling exhaust fan to vent smoke via another chimney may be what I'll have to add. For now, I'm trying to determine where smoke goes from WSM, my leaky home made offset and the Performer with various fan position to push it up and out. I search d the web but couldn't find any solutions. Also, Cold weather may force the smoke down.
Thanks for the suggestions
Terry

Very nice shed!

If the inside of the shed gets warm enough, the smoke might vent out just fine as-is using natural draft from the rising air. That external firebox on the smoker is probably going to provide a decent amount of heat for the inside. .

However, is that roof uninsulated? If it's really cold outside, there is the possibility that the cold ceiling will condense out the moisture from the air and you'll get rain inside. But then just make a indoor gutter system to collect some liquid smoke:-D

Be careful with embers that fall on the floor, It looks like the studs are not protected by your steel wall at floor level. I've seen galvanized rolls of sheet steel that are only a couple feet wide. You could maybe slide that behind the steel wall material to get it fireproof all the way to the ground.

Good points...Re gap at the bottom of the metal protected walls, while this shed doesn't follow all building codes, the general consensus was that a minimum 1" air space at the bottom and top of the shed allows you to move the stove 67% closer to the wall. Thus instead of having to locate it 48" from a combustible wall with an 1-2" gap I can locate it as close as 16" from the wall.

Actually, thinking further, I could add a strip of metal on the bottom studs and still have the 1.5" gap to the studs.
Terry

That shed is FANTASTIC! It looks very well thought out and executed! Any chance of a guest room addition? If so I could live in there!

Your barrel offset looks pretty cool too! How well does it work? Designed and built by you? Is that a 55 or 85 gallon drum for the cook chamber? Pretty sweet!

Thanks! The barrel offset is a $25 55 gallon oil drum. I sold my welder so it's all done with bolts and scrap metal. It works much better than I anticipated. I think the key is the location of the inlet pipe ( just below the grate) and the outlet pipe (1/2 above grate 1/2 below grate) ...Aaron Franklins stoves appear to have a similar arrangement. The firebox is an old Ulefos cast iron stove made in Norway. It is small, very heavy and has numerous cast design artwork ( fishermen throwing nets) ...not for looks but to increase surface area.
The 5" chimney is 6 feet long and draws quite well.
Terry

Love that hanging "barn door", nice to have handled the big smoker exhaust too.
I would humbly suggest a monoxide detector in there, that stuff is pure evil.

Back