First post, first cook on my new PBC

dfinn

Found some matches.
Reaction score
For a month or so now I've been trying to bbq on my gas grill. I was using multiple smoker boxes to try and achieve that smokey flavor. I did a couple batches of ribs, a butt and a brisket. All came out edible and actually not that bad although usually dry and without much smoke flavor. I decided to step it up a bit.

On wednesday my PBC arrived. I had gone to my local butcher ahead of time and picked up some meat. Patience is not a gift of mine and I knew I'd want to cook on it asap but I also knew that meant an after work cook so I decided to try a tri tip.

20369910052_0c0b41d022_b.jpg

brushed with olive oil and rubbed down with the beef and game rub

20384597841_47a83c39f1_b.jpg

first time in my life actually cooking w/charcoal. ordered a Weber chimney. Surprisingly easy to get it going.

19757535073_f64b1e2313_b.jpg

around 45 minutes in and just about done (sorry for the dark pics, didn't start cooking until 8pm)

19755779754_bf1bb95aed_b.jpg

Done! Came out really good. 2 things I'll do differently: cook it just a tad longer, it was a bit chewy and use a different rub, the beef and game was a bit salty for my liking.

As advertised, the PBC was easy to use. I set my vent to where it should be based on my elevation (~5500 ft) and it held right around 280 the whole time.

I'm sure you'll like the way other meats like chicken, ribs and brisket come out on the PBC. That tri-tip looks awesome!

Looks great! I just rotisseried a tri not long ago over a oak fire...sooo good. Might have to do another after seeing yours!

Nice results for a first run! Nice photos, too. Thanks for posting!

Looks great. Congrats on your new PBC and welcome to the club. Tri tip can be a bit tricky to carve since the grain runs in various directions. That could have contributed to the chewiness, but that's just a guess. Here is a video on carving the bad boy.
[ame]https://youtu.be/gmxHmuV4vTU[/ame]

Looks delicious! Welcome to the forum. :thumb:

The photos are awesome! Congrats on a successful cook:)

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your PBC. You should have done a fatty after you pulled the Tri-Tip.

Back