New Smokey Joe Mod

BeerBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Last year I bought a Smokey Joe for tailgating without realizing how tough it was to transport. I got a Jumbo Joe to replace it and didn't want it to go to waste, so I decided to convert it into a smoker.

I started it today to burn it in with a full bottom of unlit charcoal and a full chimney of lit. After replacing the saucer (too big to let air flow through and choked the fire) and creating a space for airflow in the center, it stayed around 275 for about 4 hours.

A few questions:
Burning it in I noticed some brown residue in the pot. Does this need cleaned off at all?
Should I season the inside?
How do other people regulate temps? Will it set around 275 regularly?

Thanks for checking this out.

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Paint - 1.jpg
    Paint - 1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Paint - 2.jpg
    Paint - 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Action.jpg
    Action.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 157
very nice!!
fatties and such to start 'seasoning' it.....

Minis are great little cookers. If it will fit and there is enough space for air to flow it will come out great. You should have no problem holding the temp at 275.

The pot's aluminum- cooking a fatty (or anything else) just to season it really is not called for. On a steel 55 gallon drum freshly cleaned, it is pretty mandatory or you get to see just how fast mild steel will rust. :) I have not had much luck cooking at 225 on my wsm- it likes to hang out between 275 and 300 and that suits me just fine.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to break it in today with a chuck roast. The plan was to get the smoker at 250-300 and keep it on until IT is around 160 or I like the color, whichever comes first.
It is very windy and I'm having trouble with the temp. I've given up fighting and accepted that I'm cooking around 225 and hoping to get it higher as the wind dies down.

Back