Thawed and Ready Today...NOT THURSDAY

93vpmod

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Someone put the turkey and turkey breast in the fridge instead of the freezer. I went to pull them out and found the screw-up. Lucky I caught it as they may not have made it five more days.

Wish I could blame it on someone else...

Glad I have my vacuum sealer!

I cooked ours yesterday for the same reason. Got a crockpot going making broth from the bones..

So how long can a thawed turkey remain in the fridge before you HAVE to cook it?

Not an expert, but I would say only 4-5 days for me. Add on the 3-4 days to thaw and I figured it was best to smoke today!

Better safe than sick.

Turkey Time!

All is good...off the smoker and resting. The skin on the breast only is not perfect, but I had planned for that to be for sandwiches anyway.

Nice save. Looks good. I plan to smoke mine Wednesday night and reheat Thursday. What's your plan for reheating?

Save...

Nice save. Looks good. I plan to smoke mine Wednesday night and reheat Thursday. What's your plan for reheating?

We ate dinner this evening and then I filled 6 small to medium sized vacuum bags with my Weston and into the freezer. It took longer to clear the birds. I will place in a large pan of boiling water for 20-30 minutes and serve once thoroughly warmed through.

I would recommend reheating in several 2# foil packages in the oven or possibly the crock pot if oven space is at a premium. Bring it up to temp 140* and serve immediately.

Turned out mighty fine looking!

I had to cook mine early as well. Oh well, Ham it is on Thursday.

The wife asked me if it needed to be froze and I knew it need time to thaw so I told her to refrigerate.... a week earlier than was supposed to. Oops! No wonder she looked at me funny when I told her to put in fridge.

Out of fridge, generous olive oil and SM Season All on the bird and YardBird on the breast. RO Lump with a few small pecan chunks. Very simple...

It was cold here today. 1st hour at 250, followed by 325-350 remainder of cook, about 4 hours.

Back