60 gallon offset smoker build

jrickus

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Nice work. I am curious with the inside chimney stack at grate level and being so big in diameter are you pulling most of the smoke out or does the smoker fill nicely with it?

Thanks for checking it out. I have had a blast building this thing, while trying to teach my son how to weld at the same time. I am going to add a propane burner up front for fish fry and soups, then sand blast and paint black(except stainless steel).

I used an online BBQ calculator for the length and diameters. The smoke stack is just below the cooking grate and cut to a 45 degree angle. The smoke chamber will fill with smoke having to be filled up at meat level before exiting the stack.I was very pleased at the way this thing burns when I fired it up, I could run it from 200 to 350 just by adjusting the intake.

Nice build. When you get it all finished, bring it down here and let me hold it for the next 50 years.

Looks great! I could never get even temps on my Chargriller, I guess that low stack intake is the key?

I have learned that if the smoke stack is mounted flush with the top of the smoke chamber,only a portion of the heat and smoke will reach the cooking rack.The smoke will flow directly to the top of the chamber and exit before even touching the meat. You can get a piece of sheet metal flashing and roll it in the shape of a pringles can. Then stuff it up in your old chimney, making your chimney now at grate level and see if that helps.

What can I say, I just love build threads and your is a champ! Only thing better is the satisfaction of the Q that comes off a pit you built yourself. Well done, enjoy.

Brother that is a jam up job on the build !!!!!!looks excellent!!!!!! I am liking that stack!!!!!!

Thanks, I originally made the stack with steel pipe, which was too tall to get in and out of the garage. Then I picked up this stainless smoke stack and decided I would cut the original stack down. This stack is now a two piece and is removable for transportation and storage.

That thing looks awesome! I haven't even finished building my first UDS, and now i'm starting to think of bigger plans. thanks for the inspiration

Really nice work you've done there. Is that one of those bolt together Harbor Freight trailers? If so, I'd recommend fully welding the entire thing and possibly adding some reinforcements. I had the smaller version for motorcycles and let's just say with the amount of flex it had hauling anything I cared about on it was a nerve-wracking experience! Hence why I no longer own it. With a nice smoker like you've built I'd hate to see any trailer mishaps destroy it.

Back