Grilled Roma Tomatoes - Simply Amazing (Pr0n as usual)

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This dish is as simple as it is delicious. Tomatoes, cheese, salt, pepper, and a little parsley for color and garnish and about 10 total minutes prep time. That’s it. Thanks to Diva Q for the inspiration.

Ingredients:
2 roma tomatoes
grated cheese (asiago, parmesian, romano will all suffice)
salt
black pepper
flat leaf parsley, coarse chopped
Serves two.

Notice, no amounts other than the two romas? Because there really isn’t anything to this that needs measuring.

Start with the tomatoes:
Grilled-Romas-01.jpg

Then slice to in half lengthwise:
Grilled-Romas-071.jpg

Prep the grill for high heat, in this case my Char-Broil Tru infrared. Place the tomatoes flat side down:
Grilled-Romas-091.jpg

Time on the grill depends on the heat of the grill. The goal is a little charring to caramelize the sugars and proteins. Tomatoes are very juicy by nature, so they won’t char for quite a while. I believe it took me about 8 minutes get this much sear on the tomatoes, but the infrared grill I was using can hit 700+ with ease. It might take a little longer on another grill for the tomatoes to look like this:
Grilled-Romas-201.jpg

One tip, I would recommend using a steel spatula to remove them from the grill as tongs will mash them up since they will be pretty soft when it’s time to serve.

Next up, hit them with some coarse salt, fresh cracked black pepper and then some grated cheese (I used asiago) and some rough chopped parsley:
Grilled-Romas-231.jpg

Grilled-Romas-281.jpg

That’s it. Hand out the forks and knives and enjoy.
Special thanks to Emily for helping out with this. It’s really hard to get a shot of the cheese being grated by myself!?!

If you would like other sides and appetizers, click here.
Also, you can follow the Grillin Fools on their Facebook page where you can post your grillin own pictures or join the general grillin conversation. Or, you can follow them on Twitter @GrillinFool

Great recipe. I love grilled or smoked tomatoes. We had a chili cook off this weekend and I smoke all of my veggies prior to cooking. Abou 3 hrs. at 225 and there is no better!.

Attachments

• UDSVegg.jpg
    UDSVegg.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 160
Great recipe. I love grilled or smoked tomatoes. We had a chili cook off this weekend and I smoke all of my veggies prior to cooking. Abou 3 hrs. at 225 and there is no better!.

No better way to prepare for a chili cook off! Nicely done!!

Nice.
That looks like a great start to some smoked salsa...:)
jon

Damn, now I am hungry....again. Nice easy recipe GF thank you for sharing. You too ROF-T!

I just planted some romas tonight. My 2 and 4 year olds helped, which is what life is all about. Can't wait to do this with my own maters, with maybe a little basil rather than flat leaf parsley. I'm a basil addict. I can admit it. That's the first step. But I had no fresh basil to do the last shot. I had to go with the parsley. Despite that, these were out of this world....

Back