• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Stumps vs Superior Smokers...

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Are there any major differences between these two smokers? They look almost identical...and from what I understand the owner of Superior got started working for Stumps a few years back. I really like the design of these cookers and was thinking of making a clone of one or the other. I'm just wondering if there were any major differences that I'm missing. Pro's and Con's would be nice if anyone has one of these cookers.

Thanks,
Patrick

Ive built a stumps clone and I love it... superior looked about the same to me, but I dont really know.

This could be a rematch there was a post on these smokers not to long ago, I don't know who copied who on these smokers, which came 1st, Stumps or Superior?

Ive built a stumps clone and I love it... superior looked about the same to me, but I dont really know.

Do you have any pics and more info about your clone? I'm starting to sketch out ideas with dimensions, etc...and any info would be very helpful.

Thanks!

imo, as an owner of a stumps:

I will never own anything else. Ive been Q'uen for 25 yrs. and have always went with the "newest best" and Ive owned every other cooking concept there is.

Since buying a Classic in Feb of this year and using it every weekend except one, Im (pardon the pun) Stumped!!!

I cant say enough good things (maybe cuz I dont like to type) about this concept of cooker and the quality that magnifies it. You cannot go wrong!!!

imo, as an owner of a stumps:

I will never own anything else. Ive been Q'uen for 25 yrs. and have always went with the "newest best" and Ive owned every other cooking concept there is.

Since buying a Classic in Feb of this year and using it every weekend except one, Im (pardon the pun) Stumped!!!

I cant say enough good things (maybe cuz I dont like to type) about this concept of cooker and the quality that magnifies it. You cannot go wrong!!!

I like this answer, been lookin at a Stumps for awhile!

So is there a main difference between the Stumps and Superior? They both use the same gravity fed charcoal chute. Only difference I can tell is Stumps chutes are on the side and the Superiors are on the back.

Let me start by saying, there is no best smoker. In the past few years I have had WSM's, an FEC-100, 3 BWS Cookers, a Stumps Prince, and a Superior Smoker SS-2. I have made good food, and not so good food on all of them. As for the Stumps vs Superior, they are very similar, heavy duty and well made both. In my experience, I find the SS-2 cooks more evenly than the Prince, is easier to move across uneven surfaces, and is easier to clean up. IMHO, being likely one of the few people on this forum having cooked on both, I think the Superior line of cookers has some distinct advantages over my Stumps.

I will likely be selling my SS-2, but that is no knock on the performance of the cooker, just don't need such a powerhouse cooker anymore.

If anyone would like more specifics, feel free to PM .

Matt

Let me start by saying, there is no best smoker. In the past few years I have had WSM's, an FEC-100, 3 BWS Cookers, a Stumps Prince, and a Superior Smoker SS-2. I have made good food, and not so good food on all of them. As for the Stumps vs Superior, they are very similar, heavy duty and well made both. In my experience, I find the SS-2 cooks more evenly than the Prince, is easier to move across uneven surfaces, and is easier to clean up. IMHO, being likely one of the few people on this forum having cooked on both, I think the Superior line of cookers has some distinct advantages over my Stumps.

I will likely be selling my SS-2, but that is no knock on the performance of the cooker, just don't need such a powerhouse cooker anymore.

If anyone would like more specifics, feel free to PM .

Matt

just a few ques?? this is not a pissing contest, btw - Im just curious :-D

[[I find the SS-2 cooks more evenly than the Prince]] what exactly makes ss-2 cook more evenly? i have run 8 oven therms in probably ten different configurations and i found a small 5 degree difference, hot spot thats about 4x6" wide...

[[easier to move across uneven surfaces]] what makes it easier??

[[easier to clean up]] again, please clarify. im all into easier..

[[ I have made good food, and not so good food on all of them.]]
sorry i dont think this can be part of comparison - not cookers fault

On my Stumps Prince, I easily had 10-30 degrees variation from side to side in the cook chamber. The bottom shelf, especially where the heat came out from under the heat baffle, was all but unusuable in my Prince. The SS-2 has a diffuser that disperses the heat much more evenly across the racks. I have seen more than one Stumps user talk about rotating their food from top to bottom and side to side to offset some of these variations. In my SS-2, guess what I rotate..nothing. I have filled them both with Polders, and biscuits, the SS-2 has less variation, your mileage may vary.

As far as moving it, my SS-2 rocks back like a dolly, and I just tote it around. The Stumps had 4 hard surface casters, to get it in my garage over a 2 inch gap between the driveway and garage, it was a load. I had to lift one corner up, then another, and then pull the whole thing in..SS-2, I lean it back, and pull it in. I believe you can now purchase all terrain tires for the Prince and or a dolly system, for an additional fee. The off road tires were not available when I purchased the Prince.

As for easier to clean, all of the grease in a Stumps goes right to the floor of the cooker, and is channeled into a drip pan. The majority of the grease in turn bakes onto the cooker floor. Its not a big deal, but I like my stuff clean. If you would like, you can aluminum foil the heat baffle and floor of your Stumps. The grease that doesnt bake in is transferred to a pan under the cooker which then need cleaning. In the SS-2 I put a sheet of foil in the grease catcher/diverter, the grease then goes through a hole and into a catch can which I toss out after the cook. No grease pan to clean, much less foiling to do. Zero grease on the floor of the cooker, equals much smaller chance of a grease fire in your cooker.

I have no problems with Stump's,it got us a GC on its maiden cook. I can't honestly say as fast as I go through cookers, I may not have another one.
However, someone asked for an opinion, and I think the SS-2 has some noticeable upgrades.

Matt

On my Stumps Prince, I easily had 10-30 degrees variation from side to side in the cook chamber. The bottom shelf, especially where the heat came out from under the heat baffle, was all but unusuable in my Prince. The SS-2 has a diffuser that disperses the heat much more evenly across the racks. I have seen more than one Stumps user talk about rotating their food from top to bottom and side to side to offset some of these variations. In my SS-2, guess what I rotate..nothing. I have filled them both with Polders, and biscuits, the SS-2 has less variation, your mileage may vary.

As far as moving it, my SS-2 rocks back like a dolly, and I just tote it around. The Stumps had 4 hard surface casters, to get it in my garage over a 2 inch gap between the driveway and garage, it was a load. I had to lift one corner up, then another, and then pull the whole thing in..SS-2, I lean it back, and pull it in. I believe you can now purchase all terrain tires for the Prince and or a dolly system, for an additional fee. The off road tires were not available when I purchased the Prince.

As for easier to clean, all of the grease in a Stumps goes right to the floor of the cooker, and is channeled into a drip pan. The majority of the grease in turn bakes onto the cooker floor. Its not a big deal, but I like my stuff clean. If you would like, you can aluminum foil the heat baffle and floor of your Stumps. The grease that doesnt bake in is transferred to a pan under the cooker which then need cleaning. In the SS-2 I put a sheet of foil in the grease catcher/diverter, the grease then goes through a hole and into a catch can which I toss out after the cook. No grease pan to clean, much less foiling to do. Zero grease on the floor of the cooker, equals much smaller chance of a grease fire in your cooker.

I have no problems with Stump's,it got us a GC on its maiden cook. I can't honestly say as fast as I go through cookers, I may not have another one.
However, someone asked for an opinion, and I think the SS-2 has some noticeable upgrades.

Matt

Do you have any pics of the SS-2 heat diffuser and how the drip pan works?

I like the charcoal chute in the back. It lets the door swing all the way open. The heat deflector/grease drain is a better design, as it funnels the grease to the drain. I also appreciate the full 6" between racks.

We couldn't be happier with our decision to buy a couple SS-2s for competition. I'm sure I'd be making the same statement if we bought Stumps. Both cook like champs, but we really liked the Superior's design better.

I have never personally cooked on a Stumps but have been around them and both are well built cookers. I have had my SS-One for over a year and have loved it from the start. My personal advantages over a Stumps are below:

Superior cooker & ash pan doors open a full 180 degrees.
There is only a 5-7 degree difference on all 5 racks and the racks are square so you don't have to worry which way you are putting them in.
I believe the charcoal chute is tapered now so the charcoal does hang up.
I also believe the Superior has more insulation so wind and outside temps do not affect the cook.
Right now, Superior has a special on SS-One cookers.

Tell Joby that I sent you. :thumb: http://www.superiorsmokers.com/

Thanks

I forgot to mention that I know Joby stands behind his cookers 100% and they also come in a Stainless Steel model if your wallet allows.

the stumps was my choice, but i paid for it in december and still havent gotten it yet.
ol stump wont call me back. i talked to him before it bought it. since then i've talked to his wife a couple times. she says she'll call me the next day after she talks to him. no call. nothing.
im not very happy about it.
i guess thats why you dont pay for a job to be done until its done.
sorry to whine about this, but it's taken 2x as long as i was told it would take.

Back