• Western

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Thousand Island

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Huh?

Votes: 27 57.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have lived out west my entire life and never heard of Western Dressing. What that link looks like, as previous brethren have commented, is Catalina dressing or a French dressing. I actually like the stuff. Its one of the few dressings I will buy and take home. I am in a distinct minority I believe.

Grinders? Not a popular term in any of the western states I have lived in. From your description, I don't recognize it either as something I've seen.

I guess what this post shows is how specific and different a particular dish can be in different parts of the country. Just because I'm not familiar with it, or its ingredients, doesn't mean beans. Its just me. Interesting post however. Nobody ever shows Catalina dressing as being useful. I love it.

Is that what Ott's Dressing is?

No, Otts is Famous dressing.:-D

My Mother loved it, hard to find here now. Great stuff.

Wishbone Russian dressing is sold at Walmart. only that's the only kind I've ever had, and I like it.

You can buy Western dressing at select Walmart and Target stores. Looks like Catalina to me.

Attachments

• western.jpg
    western.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 56
After some Googling, Catalina and Western are not the same. If you take Catalina and scratch the vinegar and pepper, but add some onion and garlic powder, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and honey, you get Western.

Catalina is closer to French. They both have oil and vinegar with salt, pepper and sugar, but they diverge from there.

French, Catalina, Thousand Island, Russian and Western are all different dressings.

None of them go on a grinder which is a sub type sandwich or a power tool, not a burger!

Russian and Thousand island go on sandwiches including corned beef, pastrami and maybe even a burger that includes lettuce. French and Catalina go on salads. Not sure there is a use for Western, at least not east of the Mississippi.

I’d probably like either one as long as it was home made. My wife started making home made dressings years ago and now I’m spoiled and cant stand bottled dressings.

I know grinder means different things in different regions, but in Philly a grinder is a hoagie that was tossed in the pizza oven to warm it up. I like my hoagies cold.

Chris

French, Catalina, Thousand Island, Russian and Western are all different dressings.

None of them go on a grinder which is a sub type sandwich or a power tool, not a burger!

Russian and Thousand island go on sandwiches including corned beef, pastrami and maybe even a burger that includes lettuce. French and Catalina go on salads. Not sure there is a use for Western, at least not east of the Mississippi.

100% agree with this!!

Out west..., western dressing is gravy.

Preach it! White cream gravy with chicken fried steak, steak/chicken fingers. Sausage gravy with biscuits/hash browns. Brown gravy with chop steak, pork chops, mashed taters. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I was always under the impression a "Guinea Grinder" was a sausage based sandwich served in a roll around the N.E. (New York) region.
However it was also as I understood it a a racial slur directed at the Latino/Italian type person.
Ed

Western and Catalina dressings are really close to being the same.
Use it a lot on Taco salad.

I'm telling you fellas - grill a burger, and some ham, a slice of swiss, shredded lettuce, chopped onions and either dressing on a toasted bun. It's worth trying.

For the record - We like the Western dressing, but I've had it either way.

I'm telling you fellas - grill a burger, and some ham, a slice of swiss, shredded lettuce, chopped onions and either dressing on a toasted bun. It's worth trying.

That’s called a “Wahlburger” and is served at Tom Wahls burger joints in our area. Oh, and the bun has sesame seeds.

I was always under the impression a "Guinea Grinder" was a sausage based sandwich served in a roll around the N.E. (New York) region.
However it was also as I understood it a a racial slur directed at the Latino/Italian type person.
Ed

I am under the same impression.

Grinder Recipe

Back