humphrey pint question

sniperfx

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How many of you use the water pan with water, sand etc. when cooking? I find it takes much longer to heat up the smoker. Thoughts appreciated!

I have the Down East Beast and I use water in the water pan.

You know you can add hot water to the water pan to get it stable much quicker?

I have not tried sand, but I have tried fire bricks neatly cut and laid out in the bottom of the pan. However I prefer to use water in the pan rather than the fire bricks because the water produces much better results for me.

I've had a qubed pint for a couple months - so far only ran it dry without any added bricks/sand. I've never liked water and so far haven't seen any need to add thermal mass to the cooker - it runs nice and steady and recovers pretty quickly. But I haven't yet done a cook where I've really maxed out how much meat I can fit into the cooker. Might need more thermal mass then.

Last edited:
I only use water occasionally. I prefer to just throw a disposable in the pan and let it ride, easy clean up. If you have issues getting up to temp. with water; i have had some success with pre-heating using a weed burner in the cook chamber, and adding boiling water after letting heat up. hope this helps.

I have a pint with drop in water pan. I have four foil wrapped fire bricks in the pan. It takes me about 45 min to get up to temp. The stable heat is why I use fire bricks.
How many of you use the water pan with water, sand etc. when cooking? I find it takes much longer to heat up the smoker. Thoughts appreciated!

I normally use water all the time but yesterday did ribs without anything and ran it manually and had no problems at all. Was a little dry here but they were still good.

Ive had a quebed pint and now have pint plus, run both with water with great results. I add water once close to desired temp. Also only put gallon or 2 of water in the pan, you don't have to fill pan completely. Water lasts me 4-6 hers before needing to refill at 275-300*

Agree with above...in my BW Party which is the same design I used to put too much water in at the start. Would take forever...no wonder. You can add some as you cook. Start with an inch or two them add more when you put your food on. Works great.

Back