• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st time whole hog

B

BamaRN

I'm planning a party for the 4th. We are going to try to smoke a whole hog in a block pit. One friend has the setup under control from family. My questions are about amount of time to cook, wood needed and any recipes to help flavor the meat. We are going for a large pig due to a large crowd (most are only eating liquid porkchops:wink:) 40+ so I'm really would like this not to kill anyone and taste good. Any links or help would be awsome.

Thank you

google whole pig and see what happens. also think there is something on you tube. good luck and Smoke on Bro.:-D:cool:

My Buddy, BuellerQ, who is an Eastern North Carolinian, and They do this kind of cooking more than us Central Carolinians, says that the trick is to distribute the heat more to the thicker cuts of the Whole Hog during the cook, i.e. shoulders and hams, and keep the heat lower to the thinner parts, i.e. ribs and gut, whereas the Whole Pig will be done at the same time. Another Daunting Task is the Flipping of the Pig HalfWay through the cook, but with diligent research, can be knowledge attained. I wish you success in your Whole Pork Cooking Venture..... N8.
And Please Post Pix of your Endeavour.

I have got some good tips and tricks from google, just looking for some hints on a marinade/glaze and which wood would be the the best. We are going looking to do a 24 hour cook time any hints about that would be great.

Thanks

Thanks N8man, I think we have the flip worked out i hope, not sure on how to manage the heat placement?

Good Luck...make sure to take pics and show us how it turns out. I've always wanted to do this. The guys I worked with in Hawaii did this every year and had it down to a fine art. They stuffed whole chickens in the belly and tied it up and they cooked inside. Awesome food!

Thanks James, I just got a new camera but not to good with computers I'll try to put up some pics.

Not sure on the size yet one of my buddies is rounding up the pig

Doing the same thing at my place. We have a 80 lb porker on order and lots of spirits on ice. I've been reading up and the standard seems to be approx 1 1/2hrs per 10 lbs. Hope this is right cause that's what we're planning on.

If your gonna use a block pit it will cook much faster if you can get some kinda metal cover for it. Good luck and have fun.

I have a cinderblock pit and have never had a pig take over 12 hours.
A lot of it depends on the weather and the size of the hog.
I place hot coals (whether they are charcoal or coals you burn down yourself) under the hams and shoulders on each end of the pit. The middle or rib section of the pig needs no direct heat.

I add a few hot coals about every hour...most folks check the pig and think it's not cooking fast enough so they add too many hot coals.
The idea is to cook it low and slow...just add a few hot coals at a time to avoid a flair up.

Like Norco said, you can marinade overnight.
When I marinade a pig overnight, I use a large plastic watering trough, the pig lays down in the marinade in the trough and I cover it with bags of ice.
Sometimes I marinade in a home made mojo, also with lots of garlic cloves embedded into the meat.
While the pig is cooking, I like to use a mop of vinegar, onions, red pepper flakes and jalapenos.

cookout6-07andsaltplains146-copy.jpg

I agree with skidder....a covered pit will cook faster. They are easy to do and very tasty.

Got pig on order around 75 pounds. With a couple of ribs and butts 4 backup. Anyone have thoughts on wood vs Charcoal or both? We have some hickory but not sure if its enough.

Cowgirl that looks really nice. Saw a TV show once and that was how a Cuban cooked his pig. It looked really good.

How do you serve a pig like that? Do you shred the shoulders and hams and slice up the ribs seperately?

Back