View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Best advice I can give is to go into this with eyes wide open.

What does that mean?

It is an extremely expensive hobby to pursue. Everyone says you can cook on a garbage can blah blah blah but almost all of us buy quality smokers and gadgets and trailers and on and on and on. And that’s totally fine. Just don’t think it’s cheap. Even practicing will be expensive or can be if you don’t have others kicking in to help.

And remember many folks are truly pros. They cook 30 plus contests per year. Other teams will cook 15-25. Some will cook 5-10. All of that means you will be competing against people who are damn good and consistent in what they do. They are HARD to beat. So with all the money you spend to compete it will mostly be money spent for the “experience” and to be a part of the BBQ culture.

With all of that said I love it, wish I could do it more and I have met some wonderful people along the way. It’s a huge part of who I am and what I care about now and I only have time to do about 1-4 contests per year.

If you can find other like minded people that can help share in the work and experience that could help you a lot. Good luck. It’s very addictive.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote