Best knife for carving brisket?

darthtrader

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a season of perfecting my brisket skillz and I probably should invest in a good knife for slicing brisket. What do you all use for cutting? Without outside opinion, I've been looking at these two knives:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/fslicing.htm

756.jpg

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=9473

9473.jpg

I'm kinda leaning towards the second...partly because I've seen more pit masters with this kind of knife, but mostly because it looks so bada$$. :biggrin:

Any suggestions, Brethren?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I just bought a Mundial 12" Granton edge slicer (like #1) for cutting brisket. Worked like a dream. I also bout a knife like #2 above (cimiter?) but didn't use it on my brisket.

I have always preferred the shape of the butcher's knife (lower picture) for meat processing, the slicing knife (upper picture) is preferred by many for making thin consistent slices, I have not found a difference.

The knife I use now is a sushi knife, like this
01.003.40.jpg

Your links to the two, are the same.

I have the former (top) and like it a lot. If I could find a 14" I'd like it better.

I have the 14" Graton slicer and the one listed below. Both are nice weapons in the arsenal. Jorge, if you want the top one (14") and cannot find it pm me!

DSC04688.jpg

DSC04689.jpg

Very nice sushi knife, landarc! Single beveled edge, right? Do you sharpen that with a whetstone? Kinda intimidates me and my fingers...

Fixed the link to the slicer.

Yes Darth, single bevel, concave back, I use a ultra fine carbide stone with polishing oil and a hard arkansas stone with slurry also.

I use a "stamped" Forshner bread knife.
14"
Works wonderful.

The really thin blade helps to reduce friction and tearing even more that the scallops, IMHO.

TIM

I have always preferred the shape of the butcher's knife (lower picture) for meat processing, the slicing knife (upper picture) is preferred by many for making thin consistent slices, I have not found a difference.

The knife I use now is a sushi knife, like this
01.003.40.jpg

Now thats a Knife.... Very nice Bob!

Who made that Yanagi? My Japanese is a little rusty:roll:..

If you want a 50/50 ground blade western style slicer- this one is a good place to start.

That is a Tadafusa Hocho, I do not know who the maker is, it is not that fancy a knife. I do not read Japanese. Someday I will get a real nice one, but, there are too many things to pay for these days.

I have the top one and use it daily. Great knife for slicing.

I use a 14" Forschner Graton Slicer. It is to me the best knife for slicing briskets,prime rib, or any kind of boneless meat. It holds an edge real well. It was a Christmas present from 2007 from my daughter.
003aw.jpg

I have the forschner too. I like the long action of the blade but do find it can drag a bit with the last cuts when cutting large briskets on a plastic cutting board. Not sure if the knife dulls or poor technique on my part....probably more me than the knife. I do hone the knife before using.

tom

t

I have been thinking about buying a Granton just for brisket to use instead of the big chef's knife. For those that use them, can you say if I NEED a 14 inch or would 12 be enough?

I have been thinking about buying a Granton just for brisket to use instead of the big chef's knife. For those that use them, can you say if I NEED a 14 inch or would 12 be enough?

12" is normally enough for me, but when I need more...the slices just are't as pretty. You can't duct tape another 2" of blade on there, but you can buy a 12" Forschner later.

I have had the privledge of seeing a lot of top BBQ cooks at work, and by far, the most popular knife that I have seen them use is similar to the top one in 14 inch.

Back