THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I had been looking at a Kudu grill for a while and when I saw that they were $100 off in November I pulled the trigger. Decided for a ribeye for the maiden voyage to get a feel for the thing.

Nice sized ribeye.

iRbIsjf.jpg

Let that hang out while I let a mixture of lump and wood burn down a bit.

iwTBbXK.jpg

Adjusted the grate up high to let the ribeye slow cook at take on some smoke.

5ctCwgf.jpg

After about 40 mins, I lowered it down to finish.

kXByocs.jpg

Short rest and time to see how it turned out.

SOntV5T.jpg

230hlSy.jpg

Need to dial things in just a bit, but over all very happy with the first cook. I really liked the extra smokiness from letting it hangout above the fire for awhile. I can see doing this for a while before I get tired of it.

I was an early adopter of the Kudu. Thought it would scratch my Santa Maria itch. It is fun to cook on when weather permits.

I kind of had the same thought/hope.

Did it scratch it?

Great maiden voyage KUDU cook, Joe! I reviewed the KUDU not long after it was launched:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260154

It certainly has the core elements of a Santa Maria grill, but more accessible and portable, if need be. Semi-regular high winds where we used to live in CA prevented me from using it more frequently. Had I known we would be moving to middle TN a few years later, I would have hung onto it!

Looking forward to seeing more cooks on your new KUDU!

Back