Green Egg Help

dante6969

Reaction score
I am confident the Egg owners here can help. I know nothing about Big Green Eggs except what I read here and they sound great. I am interested in one in my area on Craigslist, but it does not look like the ones I see in pics here.

Questions:

Is this really a Big Green Egg or a knockoff?
Is it a good deal?
What should I look for when I get there?

http://houston.craigslist.org/for/466752781.html

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Dan

Looks like one of the clay ones (non-ceramic) from the 60's. A buddy I went to high school has one and has used it for 30 years. Only for low cooks, no high temp grilling.

Maybe swampprb will jump in on this, I've seen pictures of the one he refurbished.....

I don't know if that's a Green Egg or not. It doesn't look like one to me. However, if it's all there, and it appears to be, and it's ceramic, it would be a good buy at that price. The Green Egg is an awsome cooker. I'm sure the Primo cooks just as well. What ever this one is, I'd bet that it would be worth $225. Just my opinion.

i recommend you try and find a more recent big green egg or even get a new one with the lifetime warranty. the new eggs are more versatile and you can sear steaks at 700 degrees!

for me, i would buy that historic clay egg i right now if it was closer. :biggrin:

WHERE IS DR BBQ WHEN YOU NEED HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-D:eusa_clap

YORK

It's technically not a BGE but that's where it all began. Those are made of clay as opposed to the almost indestructible ceramic the current ones are made of. It's old and fragile and IMO more of a collectible than an everyday cooker. I wish I had a mint one to display in my office but doubt that I'd cook on it. Of course I already have a few eggs around. If you can get it cheap, why not?

Edit: I just saw the $225 price. I wouldn't pay that. $100 tops because it may crack next week. Matter of fact make sure it isn't already cracked.

Ray
How come BBq Galore has no info on Actual Eggs? Saw a few products on website but could not find Eggs. That is how I found out about your early release from Vacaville.

What Eggcessories should one get right away when purchasing an Egg?

Thanks for all the info. I would want to be able to sear, so I am going to pass on it. Knew I would get the correct info here!

Thanks again, Dan

Back