View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Built a firewood rack for 1/2 rick w/ Photo

I built a firewood rack just the right size for 1/2 rick of wood. It's 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 16 inches deep.

It was made using three cinder blocks, six 2x4's, three cedar fence pickets and about $5 worth of screws and nails. Total cost was around $30 (including all wood, blocks & screws).

The drew up the plan in Google Sketchup--which I'll gladly share with anyone if they want the file.

The rack's base and sides are based off a plan I saw for a firewood rack online--except I went with cinder blocks for feet instead. I then added an upper level--lined with cut cedar pickets--to hold small pieces of wood, kindling & wood chunks.

It is sitting under the eaves of my house right now. I bought a tarp for $5 from harbor freight in case I need to cover it. I am new to firewood storage so this will be a learning experience. I'll keep the tarp off the wood on days it isn't raining to make sure it has adequate airflow to prevent mold, etc..

I plan on fabricating a sloped roof for it that I can just sit on top of it at a later date. I might move the rack and wood away from the house. Right now it isn't touching it though--closest a split is to the house is about 3/4 of an inch.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone is interested in the design of it, or can offer me any suggestions. Thanks.
bbqgeekess is offline   Reply With Quote

8 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->