• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gumbo-Freak Cold Front On The High Plains

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A little Dire Strait cranking level 8. Toro Toro Taxi. Zero talent to make this dish therefore no wasted grey matter. Box of Tony C gumbo mix (maybe Zatterains??). HEB Pork venison sausage and Chicken courtesy of a Sam’s just displayed seasoned rotisserie chicken. Everything in the pot with chicken stock and extra garlic. Weird cold front moves out and warmer temps return. Green Grass and High Tides-Forever

Last edited:
The pre made mixes makes this old Cajun cringe a bit, but if it taste good to you, enjoy it. At least if you're using Tony's or Zatarains mix it's from the right place. By the way is 16Adams a reference to the fly? I can't fish much smaller than a 16 anymore 'cause I can't see them.

I've had gumbo on my mind too.
Looks mighty fine!

It looks like gumbo and it might taste like gumbo but I wouldn't know anything about boxed gumbo, just can't do it but I understand.

And remember
2e7714988baf94e078b96e4fbe8ed9bf.jpg

In my late teens I lived in central Louisiana for a couple of years. It was quite entertaining that absolutely everywhere we ate, we ordered a cup or bowl of gumbo. Herbie K’s, Plantation Manor in Alexandria, The Cotton Gin, Dons Seafood- lots of no name dives etc. Herbie K’s was our favorite. It was a dark rich roux consistently with a crab claw and at least one oyster. Good Lord it was fantastic. The savory hush puppies and club crackers hit with hot sauce. Did you know club crackers dipped in French Dressing tastes eerily similar to Shrimp? 18 hours college 40-50 hours work. Gaspar gou & gar. Carp balls. In Louisiana “mystery meat” has a whole different meaning.

When I had time to eat, I wasn’t to picky.
Reckon I’m still not.

I'm not hating and I get being hungry, eating and trying new restaurants. I've been known to add tomatoes to my gumbo when I lived in Va and couldn't get good sausage, I had to compromise but it fit the bill. If I cooked a kielbasa and tomato gumbo for my family they would never let it die. I still cook with the mantra of you gotta do with what you have on hand and more times than not it works out. I'm 54 and still learning how to cook but I sure do love the journey!

I have never tried the prefabbed packets, but gumbo is good anytime I have time to make it.

Looks good. If you can make a roux and have some Tony C's seasoning, you can make gumbo no matter what protein you have. :thumb: I know I have.

I'm not hating and I get being hungry, eating and trying new restaurants. I've been known to add tomatoes to my gumbo when I lived in Va and couldn't get good sausage, I had to compromise but it fit the bill. If I cooked a kielbasa and tomato gumbo for my family they would never let it die. I still cook with the mantra of you gotta do with what you have on hand and more times than not it works out. I'm 54 and still learning how to cook but I sure do love the journey!

I don't do tomatoes but I thought it was more common in Creole style gumbos to at least put a little tomato paste in it. I come by it by way of Beaumont, TX and gumbo was really common at family gatherings. Everyone does it differently. I always go with File powder vs. okra, and try to get or make some Andouille, even if it's crappy store bought. I've had people crucify me over not using okra. I won't lie and say I haven't used just regular smoked sausage.

Those box mixes can be the start to something real tasty.

It's funny: I ALWAYS make my own roux for gumbo, but also ALWAYS use Zatarain's box mixes for dirty rice or jambalaya. You just go with what you know.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Back