• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Farmers Markets and a new smoker

Smoke House Moe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi guys.

First off, another thanks to all the guys continually answering questions to all of us in the catering area from toe-dippers to blind-jumpers. You have played almost as much a role as the caterer who has been personally mentoring me.
This is my first "legal" year vending/catering. I have been accepted for a Saturday and Sunday farmers market. We are cooking about 10 weekends at each. One is in a upper-class area, the other a blue collar area.

Just wanted any thoughts and dialogue from the more experienced guys about the markets.

Also I am looking for a smoker upgrade. Thinking my WSM's would look pretty amateurish, although they are fantastic cookers.

The finalists are:
the Stump's XL Baby
The Pitmaker BBQ Safe on cart
Spice wine small or med
Lang 36" hybrid deluxe (are these reverse flow.)

Thanks

Hi guys.

First off, another thanks to all the guys continually answering questions to all of us in the catering area from toe-dippers to blind-jumpers. You have played almost as much a role as the caterer who has been personally mentoring me.
This is my first "legal" year vending/catering. I have been accepted for a Saturday and Sunday farmers market. We are cooking about 10 weekends at each. One is in a upper-class area, the other a blue collar area.

Just wanted any thoughts and dialogue from the more experienced guys about the markets.

Also I am looking for a smoker upgrade. Thinking my WSM's would look pretty amateurish, although they are fantastic cookers.

The finalists are:
the Stump's XL Baby
The Pitmaker BBQ Safe on cart
Spice wine small or med
Lang 36" hybrid deluxe (are these reverse flow.)

Thanks

You are in Minnesota, don't you need NSF?

I honestly think any of those units will be too small for what your trying to do. Think Lang 60 MINIMUM or your just going to be looking for another unit shortly down the road.

Why not support your local builder and get a Backyard Bomber MJH. more room than a backwoods competitor at half the price. plus you wouldnt need shipping.

I don't know what volume your thinking of, or if your doing sides, but pans take alot of room and kill airflow. go big as you can.

I cooked 100 lbs of pork this weekend, that wasnt any trouble in my stretch, but the 6 pans of mc and cheese, 6 pans of ziti, 5 pand vegies, 4 pans of meatballs, 5 pans of potatoes, 4 pans of shepards pie, all took alot of room and time to cook.

That was to feed 200. and it filled the stretch and a backwoods gater.

I can't speak to catering BBQ, but I have been selling roasted coffee and coffee by the cup at the Hopkins Farmer's market for the last 6 years. We average about 1500 people per day. Unfortunately Hopkins won't allow us to prepare food. I average 150-200 cups of coffee and 15-20 lbs. per day. I don't know how that would relate to BBQ, but I thought the numbers might help.
What markets are you doing? I would like to visit your booth some time.
Curly

My two final smokers are the Pitmaker Vault trailer, or an FEC 100 with an enclosed trailer to transport it.
I also will need a generator for the FEC.

Your thoguhts?

Back