Done with the stick burners

el luchador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
yes, ive been cooking with wood recently, trying to love it, but cant.

clean burning wood taste is a very mild flavor, just like charcoal so no advantage to the wood burner,

BUT,
-the woodburner requires constant attention,
-temperature ranges are ±75 degrees , instead of ±5 degrees on the charcoal burner
-have to buy the wood and then age it for months
-cant put food on the cooker and leave and do something else. I feel like Im either adding wood or adjusting intake every 30 minutes.

yes, Im pretty much done with wood burners as I have found no value added.

Im going back to the charcoal UDS where you can fill up the bag, set the ATC, add a couple of chunks, and cook low and slow for 15 hours, hardly touching the cooker

At least you didn't spend a lot of money on the Pecos.

Somebody better get the word out to all those BBQ joints that are doing it wrong. :boxing:

Just kidding. Have to applaud you just a little bit for not being afraid of the backlash. Hopefully you have a good sense of humor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MODS, PLEASE BAN THE OP!!!

Actually, I'm kidding, a UDS is what I use, set it and forget it.

I sold mine too. My reasons were No skills or patience. A beer or two every 30-45 minutes matching sticks wasn’t healthy

I’m going back to stick burning. I’ve been through them all and still have the drums and the egg. I can understand where you are. I’ve been there. I still am in certain situations. Looking forward to getting another stick burner now.

A lot of work but the payoff is totally worth it and it's FUN. Best bbq for me is off the stick burner so I'll always have one in the mix. With that said, my stick burner season is fall through spring. I don't like tending the fire during those hot arse summer months so I use my other cookers. Like mentioned above though, it's not for everyone. Good luck!

I do both. Prefer the taste and capacity of my stickburner but like to sleep while my UDS does it's thing. My business partners Humphreys is also pretty convienent. My new Assassin will be a nice addition.

Different strokes for different folks. I like all strokes of bbq.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
^^^if I could limit myself to a beer or 2 every 30-45 minutes I could still be drinking. :wacko:

I used to be able to PUT IT AWAY. My dad would say 'I can only have one, maybe two, before they don't taste good' and I thought how silly. Beer tastes good all day!

Now I am the same way. Haven't drank more than three beers in decades.

Now wine, THAT I can still put away, cognac or bourbon too, but I will pay for it dearly.

Pitmaker Vault! True stickburning with set and forget. I cooked lunch over a baby fire and I’m still holding 200 six hours later, I’m curious how long it’ll go before dropping, it’s 34 degrees outside BTW

Nothing ruins one's desire to cook with a stick burner like a COS. The truth is, it's not for everyone. Most of my friends think I am crazy to get it up in the middle of the night to tend to a fire. That is until they eat the food. What they don't understand is that I find enjoyment in the process but even I don't want to do it all of the time which is why I own a BGE. Both tools produce great BBQ but I take a lot of satisfaction in being able to cook with a wood fire. My best BBQ comes off of the stick burner according to everyone who eats it.

Back