Wing night

jsperk

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
There is a cook off coming in September in my town. I signed up for ribs and wings.

Here was my wing practice.

I made two wins with Stubbs wing sauce. I didn't like it. I think the habaneros threw it off for me.

The other were done with buffalo wing sauce recipe I really like.

I'm debating if I should fry them real quick after grilling.

Last edited:
1. They Look Fantastic to me.

2. To a Judge, they might look like a large messy portion,
not sure that's what judges like, I HAVE no idea..
should you cut the tip? I say yes at least...

I like the ones on the right. And the left.

what rules are there regarding wings?

I cut the tips off my wings when I do them. By no means am I into competition BBQ. I just think it makes for easier eating and looks better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure. Says they will send email out soon with rules.

were i you, i'd wait for the rules to come before forming a plan. no sense planning something that might not be allowed.

I've walked at KCBS contest with wings. Cut the tip off as clean as you can by separating at the knuckle. Make a cut in the web between the flap and the drummie so when the judge goes to pull them apart it takes way less effort.
Ed

Vortex will get those wings crisp no doubt. I do my wings per the vortex instructions (vent setting, time, etc.) and I smoke/cook mine for about an hour. You could maybe cut that time in half then flash fry for a minute or two? I've never tried it but my wife is harping on me to do smoke fried wings. Just a lot of work i think and there is a fine line that one could cross that might dry them out. There is a local joint here that Rec Tecs their wings then fries them but they are dry.

I like them fully vortex and I like the fully fried. Will do one or the other. I got 9th out of 40 teams in a KCBS wing throw down and fried them.

Those look great to me. I agree w mrbill that you should wait until you get the rules before going too deep into a plan. I personally love smoked wings and decided long ago that a smoked (maybe not as crispy) wing is better than a boring old fried (crispy) wing. I cook mine in an offset and we just crank it to 400 and they get crispy enough.

Man you guys with the vortex and wings are killing me. I need to get one and try this! Looks incredible.

were i you, i'd wait for the rules to come before forming a plan. no sense planning something that might not be allowed.

I have been wanting to experiment with a smoke and deep fry combo anyways, even before this contest.

Darn good looking wings, I'm sure they would be really good with a quick fry. Is it open to the public?

King of the wings is coming up on June 25th.

I cut the tips off my wings when I do them...

I'll suggest a couple reasons to try leaving the tips on next time and see if you like:
1) They make great handles for saucing, plating, moving around the grill or smoker.
2) The tips are the perfect measure for doness. When the tips start to tear from twisting or bending back, you've got a mess of juicy, tender, rendered wings ready to plate.

I do like wings and I definitely like the looks of those.

best wings ive ever had were smoked, flash fried, dry rubbed and tossed in a wing sauce. Quite the process but so many steps above any wing Ive ever had

Back