View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
birt
Got Wood.

Default first smoke in the beer keg UDS: jerky!

it took a while but it finally happened. my first smoke ever, in my beer keg mini UDS. a friend had been talking about making jerky since we did a road trip together in the southern states (Dallas, Austin, Houston, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Pensacola, Destin, Birmingham, Scottsboro, Nashville, Memphis and Hot Springs in july 2013). that stuff was our favorite snack on the road. but quite expensive and nearly impossible to get here in Belgium.

so he came up with 2 marinades that both tasted great. we used black pepper on all the jerky and experimented with different seasoning. some had paprika and chili, some had a BBQ sweet and spicy pepper mix and some had McCormick Montreal Steak mix. they ALL turned out to be very tasty.

we smoked really cold for about 3 hours with 2 brickettes, a piece of cherry wood and some oak chips. after we went up to 4 brickettes and the temperature went to 125° until the jerky was done. i noticed after a while that in this small smoker i needed something to deflect the heat to get an even cooking temperature so came up with something really quick. but i'm sure i will have to make something more permanent for this cooker.

pre cook jerky

the result, minus some that didn't make it long enough for the picture

quick fix heat deflector

what was left after a nice clean burn

oak and cherry underneath

during the cook i worked in the garden and made some small wood chunks for the smoker. these are now drying. the crate on top is quince and the big one is apple.

has anyone used quince as smoke wood before?
birt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->