Is it possible to add gas to pellet grill?

jd-santaclarita

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a bit of a strange question that I'm hoping I can get some feedback on. Basically we are moving next week and leaving behind my bbq island. I built it myself (with help from my dad and sub'd out the tile/stucco). Its a fatty gasser (38" grand turbo, natural gas, big side burners, etc). Its been my "everyday griller" for the last 7 years. I use my UDS for the big meat. I would say I grill steaks, fish, chicken, veggies, etc 3-5 times a week for dinner. I don't have much time as I get home late from work and being able to turn on the grill and in a few minutes be able to toss the food on the grill is a must. The realization that the new place doesn't have a bbq has set in today….and I'm all over the place with what to do. I stumbled into the pellet grills and find them very intriguing. I really like the idea of cooking with wood (albeit tiny wood shavings) combined with the ease of use and speediness of gas. I just don't know how feasible it is to go from a monster 6 burner gasser to pellet grill that may not be able to sear my steaks, asparagus and burgers the way we are used to. I'm a little scared to be honest.

This got me to thinking….Is it feasible to install a gas burner or 2 in a pellet grill? The thought being that when looking for some serious high heat grilling, I could turn the pellet grill on high and then kick on the gas burners also to give some added heat under the grates. Seems like it would be the best of both worlds. I have never seen anyone do any DIY gas stuff though, so I wouldn't even know where to start if it was something worth while. Any thoughts, ideas, etc would be really appreciated. I'm in a state of bbq confusion.

Also, any thoughts from anyone who has went from gasser to pellet for everyday grilling would be really cool.

Thanks all,
JD

I should mention that the new house has natural gas stubbed to the patio, so both natural gas or propane would be an option.

Thanks all,
JD:confused:

It may be possible, but it would depend on the pellet grill itself. Most put the firepot in the center of the grill and then use a diffuser to even out the heat. Both the firepot and feed mechanism and the diffuser would be in the way of a gas burner. In addition, you would void any warranty on the pellet grill.

Take a look at some of the newer pellet grills on the market. these have the ability to get to very high temps and at least one has a direct heat section for searing. i would look at...

FE1000
MAK Grills
Memphis Grills

I have a Memphis Pro and it does a great job as a smoker and a grill and will get to 650 degrees.

Good pellet grills (MAK, Memphis, FE, etc.) will run rings around that old gasser. More control, better flavor, easy to maintain.

I have a big traeger and I can get it up to 450 and sear steaks on and you have a eay better flavor profile over a gasser

Back