Thanks for the answers....I thinK? lol

T

The Squire

The question about my friends gas black grill basically torching itself and all of your answers were very helpful and yet hysterical at the same time.

Again I would love to BBQ instead of grilling however you probably would go through a lot of Propane using the Grill but barbequeing on slow and low for hours.

Looked at many Smokers and thought about it before the grill I bought, however, theres the quick wet and dry Mesquite in a poked holed tin foil method that can smoke the food as well.

Hey,,....I'm learnin'..I'm learnin'. lol lol

Not for nothin' but those Travel Channel shows of KC and Texas BBQ cook-offs are UNREAAALLLLL!!! Man'...thats good BBQ!

The best of the best I.M.H.O originated down south! Hats off! A history lesson on the History channel originates the BBQ on the plantations of the south.

Thanks for your responses. lol

Go get one of those stainless smoke boxes, bro. It's got a sliding lid on top. Fill with would chips and stick it over the fire. That was the first attempt I ever made at smoking meat - but don't tell anyone. :rolleyes:

Actually, you don't use as much gas as you think. My little Brinkmann doesn't even make a dent in a full tank of propane, even going 10 hours. The burner is so low, the big danger is having it blow out. My Weber grill might be another story, but I can't get the temperature low enough, and when I do, I can't get any smoke out of it, with all the pans, foil packets and what not. And I refuse to spend the 80 bucks or so for the 'smoker kit' from Weber - instead, I bought an offset, figuring I'd try the real way. I still have my two electrics, and my Brinkmann....heck, I might even try adapting the offset for gas.....

Mike

Thanks MR.Mike

Wow, so you dont use a lot of Propane. That would suck though if you lower the heat and the flame goes out for all those hours..lol.

Yea, the fellas mentioned a metal smoker box and fill it with damp Mesquite chips. The whole slow and low deal I believe definately has to be a whole day thing. Watching the cooking like the guys in KC and down south, ya know?

What foods could you do the whole Mesquite chip thing with?

I would think steaks wouldn't go well with that smoker?

Stuff like Braut and Kilbassie and stuff?

I would like to try it this summer, but do a Mesquite smoking for like 2 to 3 hours tops...is it possible?

With wet chips in tinfoil and holes punched in them.

Seriously guys, what would be a good starting food for a beginner with the smoker technique and a good recipe you recommend.

Thanks for all the help.

Mesquite is good on almost anything but I am biased.
It is a bit overwhelming on chicken but when I started out,.... well, it doesn't hurt.
Can't go wrong with brisket and mesquite as far as this Texas transplant goes.

jgh1204 said:
Personally, I dont like mesquite. I use hickory or pecan for beef and pork.
I like to grill over mesquite, but never use it for smoking.

I mostly use hickory but our late brother Scott always said "Any wood is good for smoking as long as it's Cherry".

Brats are the easiest thing to get started with. That's how I started. Ribs are also fairly easy (remove membrane). Search for the 3-2-1 method but you can just let 'em go until they are done - 3-5 hours.

You can adjust your smoking technique with taste testing. Mesquite can be harsh to some palates. Hickory is always a good choice.

Good luck!

Solidkick said:
OMG!! My long lost brother!! :mrgreen:

I'm with ya brother, I don't like mesquite either!

I have been playing with Mesquite for the last year or so.
I truly love a "TOUCH" of it on beef.
I have learned that you can definitely over smoke with Mesquite and get a real bitter steak :redface:
On the grill, a small handful in a tray for a gentle smoke flavor.
In the smoker, I just received some Mesquite blend pellets I want to try on some beef jerky and a test brisket.
But, "moderation" definitely seems to be the key!

TIM

Pork chops are easy to smoke on a gasser. Put your smoker box or foil pouch over a lit burner. Once you get smoke going, place the chops over an unlit burner and cook them indirectly for 20 minutes or so. Then grill them for a few minutes per side over the direct heat.

It works better if the chops have beed brined.

Back