Brisket Rub for Comps, not the usual question..

bigzthamoose

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a dumb question, and chances are good i wont even word it correctly to make sense of it :tsk: anyways, I was just wondering, are judges looking for a heavy pepper flavor in brisket? The reason I ask, I have recently been trying out a few commercial rubs that have been recommended, and when i taste it before the smoke, just straight out of the jar, i dont get the big hit of pepper, which is good for me, bc i dont like overpowering pepper flavor, but for some dang reason, EVERY time i have cooked one with it, my end result is a heavy pepper taste, with pretty much no other taste along with it. I dont like that. I also know that im not cookin for me, im cookin for a judges flavor. The rubs i isued beforehand, was one i made, and the end result was a flavor of many spices and gave a good savory/ salty taste, which i really enjoyed. The thing is, am i just so new that i dont realize that the reason these commercial rubs make it peppery, is bc thats what the judges are lookin for??? If it is, cool, i will quit losing my mind. It looks good going in, tastes good before cooked, and then the only flavor i get is pepper afterwards. Anyways, see, i told yall this was a dumb question. I just keep thinking im messin something up. By the way, my first comp, i used the rub i made, just bc thats what i had, i didnt have any knowledge of this site, so i didnt know good commercial rubs, i got a 22nd out of 63 teams, so i wasnt just toally off on my flavors, but also not totally on. S any help in directing me towards the flavor, itd be awesome! As i made all of you dumber for reading this, i apologize. :doh:

I mix a couple comercial rubs then add MORE black pepper. And yes I even grind some more and put it in my injection.:thumb:
The way I think of it is the judges have already judged 3 catigories. They aren't hungry. They are only gonna take one bite. It needs to be a good one. Put some zing in there.

I mix a couple comercial rubs then add MORE black pepper. And yes I even grind some more and put it in my injection.:thumb:
The way I think of it is the judges have already judged 3 catigories. They aren't hungry. They are only gonna take one bite. It needs to be a good one. Put some zing in there.

I'm writing this one down. :thumb:

wow. i guess my tastes are just nowhere near what the judges are expecting. I get having pepper, but when its all you taste, i cant figure that one out. not good to me at all. got point though

As a judge, I'm NOT looking for PEPPER flavor when tasting brisket. What I am looking for is a flavor that complements/enhances the flavor of the MEAT, while still in balance! AND, contrary to what most cookers (including INmitch) think, I ALWAYS take at least TWO bites of each piece of brisket presented. The amazing thing that I've observed (tasted) is that MOST brisket entries taste pretty much the same - unlike all of the other categories. I've experienced an occasional "pot roast", and a few entries that were absolutely GREAT, but the vast majority of brisket entries have VERY similar flavor. One caution is to NOT use too much salt!

Thanks for the post. I like hearing a judges perspective. I understand complimenting the flavor, and thats why I was caught off guard that every time i use rubs that are made by very successful teams, all I get is friggin pepper. No other flavor. Just pepper. Thank u sir!

As a judge and a table captain that takes careful note of how judges score entries, the most important thing is moistness. After that is balance in flavor. You shouldn't be able to taste an over powering flavor. It should all compliment the beef. Also, some judges are turned off by a strong au jus/broth flavor. Think moist and balanced.

And please don't make me look for the taters & carrots! Brisket should taste like brisket, not pot roast. Moisture is what will make or break you a lot of times.

Ok, makes sense. I was just wondering if there is a taste that they are lookin for, kinda like how "candy" ribs are favorable. I just didnt know if i was the only one who doesnt like the over the top pepper taste

Ok, makes sense. I was just wondering if there is a taste that they are lookin for, kinda like how "candy" ribs are favorable. I just didnt know if i was the only one who doesnt like the over the top pepper taste

Since you mentioned it, I DO NOT favor "candy" ribs!!! Most of the "candy" ribs are so sweet that there is no way you will ever taste the flavor of the meat! Give me a "lightly" sauced or glazed rib and it will probably score higher than one sugar coated in the taste category.

INmitch has a great brisket. I'm sure when he adds pepper to brisket, it ain't going to be overpowering. His brisket is very well balanced. His past brisket awards prove it.

I make my own brisket rub. Trying to get away from store bought rubs. I think judges appreciate the customized flavor profiles. I injected my brisket last night, then rubbed. Would have liked to brine or marinate overnight but was trying to do a competition cook scenario.

Anyway, the rub I'm using, which I like a lot, is as follows:
1 tsp salt
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs chili pwdr
1 tsp cumin
1+ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbs red pepper flakes
1 tsp minced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbs paprika
2 tbs black pepper

Then, I cut up eight onions, rings about 1/8", and put into a big cast iron pan with a few garlic cloves chopped and one jalapeño pepper, butter and a little olive oil. Smoked for an hour until golden delicious. Wow. The onions were juicy and had heat the everyone loved on the brisket!

Balance is the key...in the right ammounts black pepper will compliment the meat...too much and it can be overpowering. We season our brisket in layers so as to get the correct ammount of each spice...not a pre-made rub that will give an un-even distribution. Try sprinkling on a moderate layer of salt, then pepper, then garlic powder, then onion powder...add your own spices to suite your tastes such as chili powder, cayenne, rosemary, thyme, etc...have fun! :p

lol, i knew when i said candy ribs itd get someone goin. What i meant was, it seems theres always some flavor profile that is ideal, and I figured maybe pepper is a preferred "taste" the judges like at the end bc thats all im experiencing with commercial bought rubs. Thanks all!

Not for brisket. Brisket should be beefy. The rub and/or sauce should compliment the flavor, but be a lot more "in the background" vs. the other categories.

Thats what i thought, and was told to try and achieve, but when i was onto my last commercial rub, and all i get at the end was pepper, i was starting to question it.

Bigz, just out of curiosity, when you say pepper taste are you referring to the distinctive taste of Black Pepper or hotter peppers like Cayenne?

The reason that I ask is that a higher heat cook will go a long way towards mellowing Black Pepper.

It's funny how no one seems to like or want the pot roast flavor profile and texture of brisket but that is what finishes up top.

It's funny how no one seems to like or want the pot roast flavor profile and texture of brisket but that is what finishes up top.

Says who??? We were cooking pot roast with the best of them and our brisket scores were all over the map. Finally simplified our recipe and found the beefy with a little heat and spice everyone was talking about. And guess what...our scores improved dramatically! A good beefy brisket flavor is very different that a pot roasty flavor and once you tasted the difference it is one of the smack yourself in the head kinda moments! :doh:

Back