View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #11
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

There are members of the Brethren that are on the KCBS Board. Hopefully one of them will chime in on this thread and perhaps share their thoughts.

I recently ponyed up for a subscription here because this place does provide me huge value. I have been thinking about joining KCBS. But I have been thinking for a few months. I am hoping to get into competition but that is a very expensive proposition. KCBS by it's actions appear to only be interested in supporting competitive BBQ. That is the teams, judging and sanctioning events. And I cannot say I blame them - that is where the money is and frankly it is more sexy then supporting the backyard BBQ gang.

But I guess I'm selfish. If I am going to put down my $$$ I want to know I am getting something for it. Some will say it is only $35 and yes they are right. But it is my $35 and I'm not just going to throw it away. I will probably sign up for a year so I can see first hand what it is like. But my expectations are very low given from what I have seen from the outside. Though I am prepared to be wrong. If I am I will tell everyone that will listen that I a wrong and why.

CBQ said above that "...I don't think BBQ would be in the public eye the same way it is today without KCBS" and I agree with him. They are very good at what they do. And perhaps it should be accepted that KCBS is really not geared to support the backyard BBQ cooker. And frankly that would be perfectly fine. But the KCBS mission statement indicates the goal is to promote BBQ overall. I was on a thread here recently that the KCBS president and at least one other KCBS member of the board was participating in. The idea of having a seat on the KCBS Board reserved for a KCBS member that was neither a judge or actively competing was floated. I don't believe either the president or the member of the board commented. Should they have? I don't know. And to be fair, there may well be internal discussions going on that addresses this.

Anyway, just my miscellaneous ramblings/observations. Hope this helps.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by bmonkman; 02-15-2013 at 03:51 AM..
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote