Butt & Brisket... Here we go!

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Wish me luck boys! This is by far my biggest cook, and only my third cook on the WSM.

On at 0415, currently cruising at~265.

I’ll keep you updated, even if I totally blow it.

VR,
Harold
d8a34b6a54aa9df14cf528baac51ff04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sweet! I screw things up regularly. Drinking heavily assists with that :-D

Enjoy it man, you got this. LOVE both of those meats, and love my WSM too!

Sweet! I screw things up regularly. Drinking heavily assists with that :-D

That is definitely in the plan Jason. My son (Also Jason) and his family are driving down from Virginia, arriving about noon. Then it’s game on.

VR,
Harold

Thanks for the encouraging words. Things seem to be going pretty smooth so far.

WSM hanging within 5 deg of 250.

Both cuts climbed fairly quickly to 150ish, then slowed down and are progressing slowly with the brisket 10-15 deg higher.

Still deciding whether to foil or not. Gonna check the bark on the brisket at about 180 and see.

Feel free to throw knowledge at me.

VR,
Harold

Good luck. I'm trying my 1st PBC brisket. I was going to go my normal route but since this isn't for a bunch of guests, I decided to experiment. :decision:

That is definitely in the plan Jason. My son (Also Jason) and his family are driving down from Virginia, arriving about noon. Then it’s game on.

VR,
Harold

Drinking? Screwing it all up? Or both?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good luck. I'm trying my 1st PBC brisket. I was going to go my normal route but since this isn't for a bunch of guests, I decided to experiment. :decision:

Good luck to you as well Sir.

VR
Harold

Unless somehow you got bad meat (or it hit that danger zone for too long) even bad BBQ is pretty decent... I've only had truly inedible BBQ once, and it was a restaurant that opened and closed in the same month...

Seriously, everything seems to be going good so far. The brisket hit a little stall at about 165 for about an hour, but we’re cruising now.

I’m pretty sure it will be at least edible.

VR,
Harold

I’m calling it a success. The brisket was tender and had good flavor, but it was a little drier than I would like.

The Boston Butt was spot on, flavorful and juicy. Basically fell apart when I tried to transfer it to a casserole for pulling.

Thanks for the help.

VR,
Harold
21a6d90a23cdda1faffaa7e7c60d9a0b.jpeg
4507bac2a8e037f71552652d9383befc.jpeg
50205a5d98387be8b0aa9da259d59bba.jpeg

Back