THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rat_Salad

Found some matches.
Scouring forum and I have found so much conflicting information on seasoning and many discussions were about WSM and UDS.

I have a Chubby on its way.. I have consolidated everything into one list.. Is this too much??

(Avoided the discussion about oil vs lard here by refering to it as LUBE)

Step 1
Heat with no water or lube at 350 for an hour (charcoal)
-Water Pan in
-Heat Diverter in
-Racks in

Step 2
Let Box cool

Step 3
a. Hand Lube inside of box(spray lube where you cant hand/brush lube)
b. Spray Lube other areas
-Racks
-Water Pan
-Heat Diverter
-Inside of firebox

Step 4
Heat to 325 3 hours no water (charcoal and some wood)
-Water Pan in
-Heat Diverter in
-Racks in

Done

For my Party I just sprayed the heck out of everything inside the cook chamber including racks and water pan with a vegetable oil spray (PAM). I cranked the temp up to 350 and let an entire charcoal basket burn out.

the reason for the dry burn (step 1 2 ) is to burn off any manufacturing oils before you season it

not sure how much that matters, but how I always do it is get a good hot fire in it dry, then let it cool and do again with lube

just steps 3 and 4 extra lube.. will melt and run out.. lol
^ this works fine, at least on our stickburners; I don't see what #1 & #2 get you and at step #3 I'm not sure I would LUBE the inside of your firebox? I agree that any food grade LUBE will work fine, I use peanut oil and/or pam but that is just me.

the reason for the dry burn (step 1 2 ) is to burn off any manufacturing oils before you season it

not sure how much that matters, but how I always do it is get a good hot fire in it dry, then let it cool and do again with lube

I would hit a new pit with a Weedburner to burn off any manufacturing oils.. or impurities.. then steps 3 and 4..

I bought an empty spray bottle at my grocery store and filled it with oil and used that to spray the inside of my smoker. I didn't want to use PAM as there are some additives other than oil. That might not bother some, but I wanted pure oil.

Back