• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roadside vending

Opening day for RSS BBQ roadside vending, very excited to finally get things going! :rolleyes:

Hit em and hit em hard!! best of luck to you all.

Thanks guys!
Not as smooth as i'd like but aced inspection and was serving by 11:30.
Kept the quantities small today and sure enough sold out! :biggrin:
Still learning the new trailer set-up but ready to go again tomorrow.
Already got pre-orders for Friday dinner and 2 catering jobs just from opening day!

I think life could be good as a BBQ vendor! :cool:

Great leap ahead today!!

The local borough council came out today to inspect us and we went through with no problem. They want to come back when we do an actual cook and see the process and we need to fill out a few more pages in the catalog but we are go to go! :cool:

Well it's been a crazy ride the last two months. I just got back to the vending site this week. I had every weekend booked for june and July and some double booked as well as doing a few comps and some weekday events. I did my biggest event yet 530 on the Conn. coast. That was a learning experience and we knocked it out of the park.Picked up another Meadowcreek PR72T pig roaster.Pig roasts this year are out of control and I am now renting my smaller one.all of Auguts is booked and double booked on weekends and 4 weekdat events and vending inbetween. September is half booked already bad economy doesn't seem to be affecting parties. how is everyone else making out this year.

Wondering????????

I am at that point where I neee to make some cash in order to survive:!:

I am thinking of a home based BBQ operation. I intend to have garage sale on weekends and just happen to be smoking some goodies and sell it on the side(under the table so to speak).
I was going to start by offering small samples to those comming by, and when hooked, take orders.:wink:
Would this work:?: The cookie ladies did it that way:!:
Help a brother:wink:

I am thinking of a home based BBQ operation. I intend to have garage sale on weekends and just happen to be smoking some goodies and sell it on the side(under the table so to speak).
I was going to start by offering small samples to those comming by, and when hooked, take orders.:wink:

Get legal and stay legal!!!

The people you will be hurting is not only yourself , imagine if someone decides to sue you claiming your food made them sick then where would you be?

Running a 'cowboy' operation will only tarnish the rest of us that get legal and try and earn a living.
The economy isn't good for millions of us but that's the way things are at the moment. Believe me I have had to sell my car and several other things just so I could get insurance and take the required FSA (food safety) classes.

If you are going to do it your way then I wouldn't go bragging about it on a public forum.:icon_shy

Get legal and stay legal!!!

The people you will be hurting is not only yourself , imagine if someone decides to sue you claiming your food made them sick then where would you be?

Running a 'cowboy' operation will only tarnish the rest of us that get legal and try and earn a living.
The economy isn't good for millions of us but that's the way things are at the moment. Believe me I have had to sell my car and several other things just so I could get insurance and take the required FSA (food safety) classes.

If you are going to do it your way then I wouldn't go bragging about it on a public forum.:icon_shy
Good advice. If the health dept came by you'd be in a world of trouble and then trying to get legal would be a real pain. Or someone from the city could say where's you're license to sell in this city.county or whatever. Or a State person might say are you submitting sales tax. All can lead to criminal charges and legal bills.

Now here in MI you can be a personal chef without the health dept. Still may need city/county licenses and sales tax. But it's a lot easier. Or just shut up and on your own talk to people about cooking for them. Doing parties is a lot easier than selling meals ot the public.

But you could give away samples during the garage sale so long as you take the liability of somebody saying they got sick. Insurance is reasonably cheap. Try Auto Owners. If you cater you'll want it for sure.

what they said. just so ya know,even if you are legal most county HD's wont let you use you home's kitchen for a commercial food venture unless it conforms to restaurant kitchen standards.check your local HD for rules & guidelines.

like said in above post being a cowboy hurts it for everyone else :mad:we are all trying to make a living and my feelings are if i have to jump through all the hoops to make a livin so should somebody else!

now sellin out of your garage thats a different story while having garage sale if you can get away with it thats on you.

but i know if i was set up somewhere legit and some dude pulls up and starts sellin and hes not legit id be the first on the phone...
should be fair playin feild for all.
just my 2 cents.

Ditto to what everyone else has said. The easiest way is to get legal and stay that way. Stop wondering what you have to do and just go visit the health department. I got lucky and mine were really nice. Plus, I think they were just excited that someone was not trying to do it under the table. They even told me what I could do in my situation to satisfy food safety rules. Then when it was time for an inspection it was no problem cause they had recommended most of the equipment to me.

Yup I have been inspected several times and teice I asked them to come out and see what I was doing and if they could give some advice to keep me on track. Tell ya what they LOVED hearing that and made things very easy on us.

All of my reports were great and the things they wanted was as little easier way for me to keep track of my temps. She even emailed me some record keeping forms.

Hi Alvin

Good to meet you at the weekend.

I promised you I would send you electronic copies of the temperature log sheets I gave you. I have revised them slightly to reflect event catering. Please give them a whirl...I would be interested in feedback on the forms - good and bad!

I must stress that these forms are not a legally prescribed format ...you do not have to use them. They are offered as help only as they cover the recording of information EHO's tend to request!

Something along these lines should keep you serve you well and make life easier to boot!

Good luck with the BBQ!

Regards

Jenny

Jenny Thomson
Environmental Health Officer

Hope these attachments help some of you brother and sisters out there..

Attachments

• EVENT CHILLED FOOD CHECKS.doc
    89 KB · Views: 61
  • EVENT HOT FOOD CHECKS.doc
    73.5 KB · Views: 44
  • EVENT HOT HOLDING CHECKS.doc
    72 KB · Views: 35
Another great thread with great info and advice.

Thanks!

Tom the Grill Guy

I have tens of thousands of dollars invested in BBQ (probably more like $100k+), so it's not a hobby for me. It is a business. If you want to run it like one, be one. Scabs only tarnish it for the rest of us who try to remain legal.

Hey roadside guys. How many meals do you shoot for a day? And about what is your break even point? I lay awake at night dreaming about doing something crazy like this. I need to either dismiss it as insanity or get some ideas on paper.

Thanks

It's going to take a good investment in the proper equipment to do it as well as a well thought out spot to set up.You will need some catering gigs to supplement your income until you get a good customer base to keep you rolling but it can be done. I have been doing it about a year now and am just getting a good base of people and if it wasn't for all the catering I do it would be nothing but some extra pocket change. It's alot of work to keep your stock up and produce a good product each and every day so that good equipment I mentioned is esentail. Pm me if you are seriose about it there is to info I could ramble on here for days.

Back