• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Roadside vending

Are you able to do this through the winter???

I will be starting my vending operation in December and will be open through the winter. I can post updates for those like yourself whom might be interested.

We took our totall costs for the day - labor, fuel, pellets, supplies, all groceries - everything, except the trailer and truck x 2 at a minimum. We then compared our prices to the local sit down place, made sure we charged just as much (ours is better), made the servings large and took off.

See. I tried to explain to thick Mista to factor in cost and then go from there but will he listen... (%&*$&#^@

See. I tried to explain to thick Mista to factor in cost and then go from there but will he listen... (%&*$&#^@
Shane is a bit anal in figures. He gripes about his operating costs being higher than the competition, who uses only gas. His prices are higher, but he seems to be slowly pushing the other guy out of business.

Good job!

But, if you were in our area the HD would require a screened room for you to serve the food out of. We have a screened room that attaches to our BBQ trailer. But, for small events we have a screen that goes on an EZ-Up. Oh, and they would also require a ground cover. I wish I had your HD! :-D

Well guy's the first month has been all over the place. It's been a real learning expeirence and now I have been aproached by another local business man and I am moving my spot closer to my village and across the road from alot of new commercial constuction. I just put in a gravel parking lot today by hand man am I out off shape.I now have a light up sign to use and a 220 hookup to run my truck 24/7. When I recover from this move I will post additional info and pics from the new spot and what I have learned over the last month.

Good job!

But, if you were in our area the HD would require a screened room for you to serve the food out of. We have a screened room that attaches to our BBQ trailer. But, for small events we have a screen that goes on an EZ-Up. Oh, and they would also require a ground cover. I wish I had your HD! :-D

They mentioned the sides, but they let us slide. We had ground cover, it is astro turf...

Bump

Come on guys I am living vicariously(sp) through you. What has been happening on the roadside?

Sorry guy's have been alittle buys setting up the new spot and trying to decide wheather to stay open a few days a week and brave the months of January and Feb and throw in that I have been out of commision for two weeks with a broken face yup thats what I said. Just getting off the pain meds and getting back to work. I will get some updated stuff soon.:biggrin:pS that smile hurt:mrgreen:

what did you do to your face, sounds painful. Hope you have healed nicely.

Ohmigosh, that sounds painful. Glad to hear you are on the mend!

I'm watching too.

What's going on with the face ?

Here it is in a nutshell wedding,JackDaniels,hottub get up at 2am to hit the jonh blacked out hit face on hotel bathroom countertop broken face.No I wasn't plasterd one of those working long hours alittle dehydrated low blood pressure things when you get up to quick.

Ouch that was even worse than I thought. I hate those get up to fast blackouts. I have learned to stop and grab onto something when I feel them coming on. Ran into many a doors before learning that.

Ok so now we are on the mend, how is the new place coming along and what can you tell us about your past "season" that you would or would not do again?

Well here is what I have learned so far. I started out in one spot not the best area but I wanted to start somewere and the price was right. I started of whith quite an extensive menue offering lunches and dinners open 11-6 and quickley found out that was to much there was alot of waist and trying to reuse in other things.

I quickly picked some popular items and began doing specials and the ones that became popular I picked my busyest days to offer them. At this point I was approached by a local business owener and pattron to look at a better spot which he owns closer to town a and where alot of new construction is going on. it was and easy decision to move the rent was allitle more and I had to spend about $900 to put in electric and 40 yards of stone to make a parking lot. We tried to tell as many people before we left and took out a small add in the local paper through our chamber of commerce to get the word out. Most would eventualy find us.

We moved November 1st not the best time to change spots but I wanted to get in there now and get some of the construction business that was around. I began to think of some good cold weather items to sell so I had a freind of mine who is a chef make up a killer chili and a couple of soups which are doing well when the weather is good and people stop.He has also helped me on some awsome seasoned mayos for my chicken sammeis a few other things. I will be using him on some of my catering jobs and should be a great help in building my business.

Business has realy fallen off which I figured it would in Upsate NY in December and I have contemplated wheather to close up for the winter or not. I then booked a catering gig after a new customer tried our food and that sealed the deal about staying open a few select days a week. I think it's worth incuring allitle debt to stay open fot the next few months and continue to establish myself. I have a bulk menue that I get continued orders for and we do work for the local PTA and we are active members in our local PAL{Police Athlectic Legue} which is generating some business.

So that is were I am at this time and for the future I am trying to get some grant money through our county and it helps when the county legeslator loves your food. I would like to put a new trailer at the spot and work it 5 days a week and have the truck I have now do catering so I don't have to leave the spot every time I get a catering gig.

I like the idea of a second truck. I'll be getting a van thingie in the next few days that should serve well for catering. It's ugly but she will do what I need it to as far as transporting and securing my gear in this unpredictable weather.

Back