• Who puts cheese on pizza?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Since I love to overload pizza with toppings, I like the cheese to be on top so that it holds all the toppings on the pizza. But most traditional pizzas have the cheese under the toppings.

So I poll, where do you put your cheese?

NY style for me. Thin crust, thin tomato sauce, grated mozzarella, toppings, in that order.

depends on the pizza/toppings, and even then i have some variance

lots of times at home i make detroit-ish pizzas, with cheese going on the crust first. if using a greasy log of real pepperoni, that gets minced and thrown under the cheese. real wet toppings like pickles (cuban-o inspired pizza i often make w/ leftover bbq) pretty much NEED the moisture barrier cheese that provides.

depends on the pizza/toppings, and even then i have some variance

I would concur. If I'm making a Chicago deep dish, the toppings go under the cheese, but I don't make them that often.

Most of the pizzas I make are what might be called a NY/American style hybrid, with a relatively thin crust, so light to moderate cheese, with toppings on top. I also like how meat like pepperoni and sausage crisp up when they are on top.

There is a great family run pizza place near where we used to live in LA. They were one of the few pizza places I've eaten at that put the cheese over the toppings, which made it quite a soggy affair, even right out of the oven. So, I started ordering the pizza with the toppings on top, and the difference was night and day.

Here's two pictures of 2 pepperoni and meatball pizzas, from the above establishment showing one with the cheese on top, vs another with cheese on bottom:

CpUnnvw.jpg

hF6rj4b.jpg

I understand some folks like it differently than I do, perhaps the melding of cheese and toppings makes it more casserole-like. I prefer the separation of toppings from cheese, which makes them stand out more individually, if that makes sense.

This thread has me thinking...next time I make pizza, I may layer super-thin slices of provolone on the dough before I add the sauce and top layer of cheese. :idea:

Usually under the toppings, but it depends. I don't put huge quantities of cheese on my pizzas.

Put a thin layer on bottom, then toppings. Top it off with another thin layer of cheese on top of everything.
That's how I do it. A thin layer of Parmesan on bottom after brushing dough with olive oil. Then the toppings (except for pepperoni or other meat) followed by buffalo Mozzarella and, finally the peperoni.

Usually on top. Sometimes we'll put green onions or something on top of that, part way through the cook.

This thread has me thinking...next time I make pizza, I may layer super-thin slices of provolone on the dough before I add the sauce and top layer of cheese. :idea:

try it, for sure. unless of course you can get brick cheese, or wanna order some provel. "swiss American" (i.e. white American) from Aldi's singles is pretty good, too.

i'll probably make a quick no-yeast cast iron pie for dinner tonight, to use up an open jar of marinara. those, pretty cracker-like, really benefit from cheese first, too. nobody wants a soggy cracker

I would not place sliced cheese on the base. That will likely cause your toppings slide off the slice in one large sheet when eating.

Depends on the pie. If I’m using mozzarella the cheese goes on top.
If Im making a Trenton style pie that uses cheddar cheese I put the cheese on the bottom, because the oily cheddar cheese doesn’t bind to the crust when it’s on top and it slides off of the slice.

Back