View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #24
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
Did you ever give wagyu another try?

I'm trying my first one in a couple of weeks (ships from SRF soon). I cook Prime by feel, but am thinking I need to consider internal temp a little more for my first wagyu cook as I keep reading that the feel is a little different.

If it both feels done AND temps at 205*, I was going to pull and rest. Decent starting point for wagyu?
Some people say Wagyu cooks faster, others say it takes longer for that fat to render. Who is correct? Both.

How can that be? Because there are two VERY DIFFERENT meats being sold as Wagyu.

Real pure bred Wagyu cows have a fat that is higher in Omega 3’s with a much lower melting point than regular angus or traditional western breeds. This one will usually cook faster.

What SRF sells is a Wagyu Angus hybrid. It has more fat, but is otherwise closer to angus than real Wagyu. More fat at the same melting point may mean more time or higher temp to render.

The short answer is if you cook prime by feel, cook the Wagyu by feel. “Feel” is more than just probe tender. It should also include the look and the feel in your hand, flex/bend feel, jiggle etc. You should be able to tell if the meat is cooked and fat rendered if you have been cooking primes successfully. Switching to internal temp is a huge step back.

Thanks from:--->